|Member of the New Jersey General Assemblyfrom the 11th District|
|Assumed office |
January 12, 2016
Serving with Eric Houghtaling
|Preceded by||Caroline Casagrande|
|Chair of the New Jersey General Assembly Committee on Human Services|
|Assumed office |
January 9, 2018
|Preceded by||Valerie Vainieri Huttle|
|Born||October 31, 1966|
Jersey City, New Jersey, U.S.
|Education||Rutgers University, New Brunswick (BA)|
New York Law School (JD)
Boston University (MSW)
Downey was born in Jersey City, New Jersey. She holds a Bachelor of Arts from Rutgers University, where she studied Political Science and English, a Juris Doctor from New York Law School and a Masters of Social Work from Boston University School of Social Work. After graduating from Freehold Township High School, Downey was accepted to the New Jersey State Police, inspired by her father, who was a New Jersey State Trooper. Downey ultimately decided to pursue a law degree and prosecutorial work instead. She went on to serve as Deputy State Attorney General, working in the Department of Children and Families. Downey cites this experience as the impetus that moved her to work toward her Masters in Social Work.
New Jersey Assembly
Downey was elected to the General Assembly alongside running mate Eric Houghtaling in November 2015. Their victory was considered by many to be an unexpected upset. In July 2018 Downey and fellow Assemblyman Eric Houghtaling accused fellow Assemblywoman Serena DiMaso of violating the Truth-In-Caller ID while sending out robocalls. 
- Human Services
- Financial Institutions and Insurance
There are forty districts in the New Jersey Legislature each with one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 11th District for the current Legislative Session are:
|Republican||Mary Pat Angelini||14,653||24.8||5.3|
- "votesmart.org". Joann Downey's Biography. votesmart.org. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Meet the Leaders | February 19, 2016 - New Jersey | New Jersey Assemblywoman Joann Downey". www.meettheleaders.com. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "Monmouth County Election Results 2015". Monmouth County Clerk's Office. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- Johnson, Brent (3 November 2015). "Elections 2015: Democrats oust Republicans in Assembly's 11th District". nj.com. nj.com. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Ethics panel finds probable cause to investigate DiMaso". New Jersey Globe. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- "New Jersey Legislature - Legislative Roster". www.njleg.state.nj.us. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "2017-official-general-election-results-general-assembly.pdf" (PDF). New Jersey Secretary of State. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 May 2019. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- "2015-official-ge-results-nj-general-assembly.pdf" (PDF). New Jersey Secretary of State. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 April 2017. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
|New Jersey General Assembly|
| Member of the New Jersey General Assembly for the 11th District
January 12, 2016 – present
With: Eric Houghtaling