1 August 1988
|Parent||Bing Wang (father)|
|Also known as||Joanna, New Tokyo Terror, Chicken Joanna, Alferd Packer, Poocat|
|Genres||Folk, jazz, pop, video game music, alternative|
|Instrument(s)||Vocals, guitar, piano, kazoo|
|Labels||Sony Music Taiwan|
Joanna Wang (Chinese: 王若琳; pinyin: Wáng Ruòlín) is a Taiwanese-American singer-songwriter, daughter of music producer Bing Wang (王治平). Born in Taipei but raised in Los Angeles, California, Wang dropped out from Gabrielino High School when she was 16. Her debut album, Start from Here, was released in January 2008 as a double-disc set, one in English and the other in Chinese. The album reached No.1 in Taiwan and has been popular throughout Southeast Asia. In June 2008, it was released in Japan. Her second album, Joanna & Wang Ruo-lin, which includes her all-original endeavor, The Adult Storybook, was released in January 2009.
As she was raised in the United States, Wang was exposed to many pop music acts, including The Beatles, Queen, and Oingo Boingo. Among her major influences are Danny Elfman, Yoeko Kurahashi, Paul McCartney, and video game music, most notably those from the Castlevania, Zelda, and Mario series. She has stated in her YouTube videos and in interviews that she dislikes her debut and rejects it as her own work.
Wang is a left-handed guitarist.
She has performed some of her own work and has covered various popular songs in English and in Chinese on Taiwanese television programs.
Starting in 2013, Joanna began occasionally performing with a band under the name Alferd Packer & The Weird Uncles.
In March 2016, Joanna performed in a production of the musical Turn Left, Turn Right, based on the illustrated book of the same name, sometimes known as A Chance of Sunshine in English.
- 2008: Singapore Hit Awards 2008 – Outstanding Newcomer
- 2008: 9th CCTV-MTV Music Awards – Most Popular New Female Artist of the Year in Hong Kong and Taiwan
- 2008: Metro Hits Music Awards – Metroshowbiz Hits Mandarin Songwriter Singer Big Award
- 2008: Metro Hits Music Awards – Metro Radio Hits Most Voted Newcomer Award
- 2008: China Mobile Wireless Music Awards – Most Potential New Female Singer
- 2008: 2008 Beijing Chinese Pop Music Awards – Best Composer-Singer Newcomer
- Start from Here (2008)
- Joanna & Wang Ruo-lin (2009)
- The Adult Storybook (2009)
- The Things We Do for Love (2011)
- The Adventures of Bernie the Schoolboy (2011)
- Galaxy Crisis: The Strangest Midnight Broadcast (2013)
- Midnight Cinema (2014)
- Bob Music (2015)
- House of Bullies (2016)
- Modern Tragedy (2018)
- Love is Calling Me (2019)
- H.A.M. (Happy Accessible Music) (2016)
- a.^ Quotation in Chinese: "有壓力的話我也寧可這樣，我想做自己想要的音樂。"
- Huang, Andrew C.C. (14 January 2010). "The reluctant celebrity". Taipei Times. p. 13. Retrieved 16 July 2011.
- "YouTube". Retrieved 16 August 2015 – via YouTube.
- "王若琳自爆有音乐洁癖 拒绝商业歌曲拒绝与人合作——中新网". Chinanews.com.cn. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "I am a Taiwanese Celebrity, AMA : IAmA". Reddit.com. 3 September 2011. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- Matthew Solarski (22 October 2013), Alferd Packer & The Weird Uncles (Joanna Wang / 王若琳) – I Don't Give A Hoot (Live at CMJ 2013), retrieved 14 February 2016
- "Romantic illustrations turned musical". shanghaidaily.com. 2 March 2016. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Taiwan New Jazz Star Starts from Beijing", China Radio International, 2008-04-08.
- Brownlow, Ron. "Step into the spotlight", Taipei Times, 2006-12-08.