Joanne's Bed and Back
|Founded||1977 (Beltsville, Maryland)|
Joanne's Bed and Back is a retailer of specialty beds, mattresses, and chairs in the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States. The chain, which is based in Beltsville, Maryland, primarily has stores in the U.S. states of Maryland and Virginia. The company also had locations in New York in the past, when two stores opened in Manhattan during the 1990s. The chain markets to those with back problems who are looking for furniture to meet their special needs.
The company was founded in 1977 by Joanne Schatz, and later expanded to more than a dozen locations. The company's greatest success came during the mid-1990s, when the chain doubled its number of stores. At its height, the chain had a total of 14 stores.
During the slower economic times of the 2000s, the chain's success declined. In April 2008, the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and was acquired by Virginia-based Healthy Back, which planned to close half its stores. The store closings are currently in progress.
- Steinhauer, Jennifer (October 9, 1997). "Stores Specializing in Aching Spines". The New York Times. Retrieved May 9, 2011.
- Hamilton, William (October 2, 1997). "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This". The New York Times. Retrieved May 9, 2011.
- "New Yorkers & Co.". The New York Times. June 8, 1997. Retrieved May 9, 2011.
- Marriott, Anne (April 14, 1997). "JoAnne's chain keeps in top health by easing baby boomers' back pain". The Washington Times. Retrieved May 9, 2011.
- Hamilton, William (September 25, 1997). "Back Remedies Are on A Roll". The New York Times. Retrieved May 9, 2011.
- Sharrow, Jeff (August 7, 2006). "Sold on sleep". Baltimore Business Journal. Retrieved May 9, 2011.
- "Joanne's Bed and Back Chapter 11 Petition" (PDF). PacerMonitor. PacerMonitor. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- Clabaugh, Jeff (May 19, 2008). "The Healthy Back Store buys JoAnne's Bed & Back Stores, closes stores". Washington Business Journal. Retrieved May 9, 2011.
- Perry, David (April 10, 2008). "Joanne's Bed and Back files Chapter 11, agrees to sell stores". Furniture Today. Retrieved May 9, 2011.
- Engel, Clint (May 26, 2008). "Healthy Back acquires JoAnne's Bed & Back.(JoAnne's Bed and Back Stores Inc.)". Furniture Today. Retrieved May 9, 2011.
|This United States retail business article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|