|Born||Joanne Kirsty Clifton
24 October 1983
|Education||Caistor Grammar School|
|Occupation||Dancer, presenter, model, actress, singer|
Joanne Clifton (born 24 October 1983), also known as Jo, is an English professional dancer, presenter, model, actress and singer born in Waltham, Lincolnshire. She won the World Ballroom Showdance Championship in 2013 and also won the European Professional Ballroom Championship and World Dancesport Games. She became a professional dancer on the BBC TV series Strictly Come Dancing in 2014. She has also featured on Burn the Floor.
Clifton started dancing ballroom and Latin as a child in her home town of Waltham, taught by her parents, former World No. 1s Keith and Judy Clifton. She competed nationally and internationally as a child initially partnering her brother Kevin. Later she chose to specialise in Ballroom so as not to directly compete against her brother. She has competed in both Ballroom and Latin since the age of 4 and has been a 5 time British Champion, 3 time Italian Champion, Professional Ballroom European Champion in 2012 and Professional World Dancesport Games Champion in 2013.
In 2000 Clifton moved to Bologna, Italy to train with Team Diablo, the biggest dance school in Europe. She was initially partnered with Marco Cavallaro reaching sixth in the world in amateur rankings with him. She crossed from amateur to professional competition when she was chosen to partner Paolo Bosco in 2011. In 2013 they were amongst ten other professional dancing couples to be invited to perform at the Kremlin. She and her partner became champions of the World Dancesport Games in Taiwan in 2013 and won the World Professional Ballroom Showdance Championships in Merano Italy later that year. Clifton danced with Bosco competitively until his retirement on 15 December 2013. She retired from competitive dancing on 19 December 2013.
In 2014, Clifton was confirmed as a professional dancer on the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing. She was partnered with the DJ Scott Mills. They made it through to week 6 but were eliminated in the Hallowe'en show.
In 2015 Joanne will appear in her first musical production Face The Music at Ye Olde Rose and Crown Theatre playing Street Walker.
- "Strictly Come Dancing: James Jordan and Artem Chigvintsev quit show as Kevin Clifton's sister Joanne joins up". Mirror. 1 June 2014. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Dancesportinfo". Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- "Local Dancers set Strictly Come Dancing Return". Grimsby Telegraph. 1 June 2014. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Burn The Floor". Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- "Cliftons Dance Academy". Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Stage Star to put on Show in Grimsby". Grimsby Telegraph. 18 June 2013. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Strictly Come Dancing's Karen Hauer and Kevin Clifton: 'If you get that one shot, you must hang on to it'". The Telegraph. 27 June 2014. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- "Burn The Floor". Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "It's a waltz for Joanne Clifton as she takes European Professional Ballroom Championship crown". Grimsby Telegraph. 25 October 2012. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Local dancer chosen to be world ballroom champion's partner". Grimsby Telegraph. 28 October 2011. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Dancer Joanne Clifton performs in Grimsby". Grimsby Telegraph. 8 July 2013. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "United Agents". Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "Parents' pride as Kevin Clifton reaches Strictly Come Dancing final with Susanna Reid". Grimsby Evening Telegraph. 17 December 2013. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "World Dance Sport Federation". Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "The Mirror". Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "The Mirror". Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- "Dancing her way to the top of the world!". Grimsby Telegraph. 26 September 2008. Retrieved 26 June 2014.