Plata playing against the Chicago Fire on May 25, 2013
|Full name||Joao Jimmy Plata Cotera|
|Date of birth||March 1, 1992|
|Place of birth||Guayaquil, Ecuador|
|Height||1.57 m (5 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Forward, Winger|
|Real Salt Lake|
|2011||→ Toronto FC (loan)||26||(3)|
|2012||→ LDU Quito (loan)||13||(1)|
|2013–||Real Salt Lake||68||(20)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of August 26, 2015.
Plata began his career in the youth ranks of hometown club Barcelona before joining the Alfaro Moreno Academia in Guayaquil in 2009. After impressing at Alfaro Moreno he joined the youth ranks of LDU Quito.
Plata impressed Liga coach Edgardo Bauza and was called up to the senior side during the Second Stage of the 2010 Serie A season. On August 22, 2010 Plata made his professional debut for LDU Quito at Estadio Casa Blanca in a 1–0 victory over Olmedo. His debut was considered very promising and Plata became a fixture for the rest of the season.
On September 18, 2010 Plata scored his first professional goal in a 1–0 victory over ESPOLI. This important goal helped Liga consolidate their position at the top of the table. Plata ended the season appearing in 7 league matches (starting 5) and scoring one goal as Liga captured the Second Stage of the 2010 Serie A and then defeated Emelec to be declared national champion for the 10th time in the club's history.
At the conclusion of the 2010 season, in order to continue his development, Plata was loaned to Major League Soccer and was selected by Toronto FC with the No. 49 pick in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft. Toronto FC signed Plata on March 24, 2011. On April 2 Plata made his debut for Toronto as a second half sub for Alen Stevanović, in a 1–1 home draw against Chivas USA. On April 27 Plata made his first start for Toronto and provided two assists in a 3–0 away win against FC Edmonton in the first leg of the Canadian Championship. For the second leg on May 4, Plata again made the starting line-up and provided an assist as well as receiving Man of the Match honours in a 1–0 home win, giving Toronto a 4–0 aggregate victory over FC Edmonton to advance to the Canadian Championship final. Plata got his first MLS goal in a 2–1 victory over Houston Dynamo the goal was a well taken penalty and he later went on to set up the second for Maicon Santos, his performance earned him MLS player of the week. On July 2 Plata scored a crucial goal against Vancouver Whitecaps FC helping seal Toronto's third consecutive Canadian Championship, earning the team a berth in the CONCACAF Champions League. Plata was awarded the George Gross Memorial Trophy as the tournament's best player. On July 27 Plata made his Champions League debut against Real Esteli F.C. coming on for Gianluca Zavarise in the 49th minute, Plata led his team to a 2–1 home victory scoring both goals. Plata's success continued in the champions league scoring two goals in a crucial match-up against FC Dallas on October 18 in the final group stage game, with a 3–0 away victory it advanced Toronto to its first ever quarter final appearance.
On January 11, 2012 the club announced a multi-year deal to keep Plata at Toronto FC; as per club policy and league, the details of the new contract signing were not disclosed, but reports suggest a $500,000 fee was paid to secure him. Plata scored his first goal of the season on April 4, during the second leg of the 2011–12 CONCACAF Champions League semifinals against Santos Laguna, Plata scored both goals in a 6–2 away loss.
Plata returned to LDU Quito on a six-month loan from Toronto on July 11, 2012.
Real Salt Lake
In 2014, the Twitter hashtag #PlataEsOro became popular, a play on the meaning of Plata's name, "plata" being the Spanish word for "silver" and "oro" meaning "gold." 
Plata was a member of the Ecuador Under-20 national team. On May 20, 2011 Plata was given his first senior call-up to the national team that will play in three friendlies between May 28 – June 7 that will help determine La Tricolor's final roster for this summer's Copa América. Plata made his debut for the senior team against Canada, on June 1, 2011, as a second half sub in a 2–2 away draw, at his club team, Toronto FC's home field BMO Field. Plata was called up for friendlies against the United States and El Slavador, in the game against El Salvador Plata scored two goals in a 5–1 win over El Salvador
|1.||October 14, 2014||Red Bull Arena, New Jersey, United States||El Salvador||
|LDU Quito||Serie A||2010||7||1||0||—||—||—||7||1||0|
|Canada||League||Playoffs||Canadian Championship||CONCACAF Champions League||Total|
|LDU Quito||Serie A||2012||13||1||0||—||—||—||13||1||0|
|United States||League||Playoffs||Open Cup||CONCACAF Champions League||Total|
|Real Salt Lake||MLS||2013||29||4||8||2||0||1||5||2||2||—||36||6||11|
|Real Salt Lake||MLS||2014||26||13||6||2||0||0||1||0||0||—||29||13||6|
Last updated on July 30, 2014
- Ras Tas Tas with Joao Plata & Olmes Garcia | The Real World
- "Joao Plata y su debut". alfaromoreno.com.
- "Extra.ec – Joao Plata un salsero en la cancha". diario-extra.com. October 3, 2010
- Una excelente primera impresión. futbolinmediato.com. August 24, 2010
- "Liga Deportiva Universitaria – Liga de Quito; Un sitio de hinchas Liguistas para hinchas Liguistas". liguistas.com.
- Joao Plata: Estoy contento y esperemos seguir así. ecuavisa.com. September 21, 2010
- Joao Plata se suma a Estupiñan y Ganchoso en el sueño americano (Audio). teradeportes.com. January 6, 2011
- "Toronto FC Signs Stevanovic And Plata". torontofc.ca. March 24, 2011
- "Gordon Goal Gifts Reds a Draw". Toronto FC. April 2, 2011. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "Toronto Takes A Stranglehold". Toronto FC. April 28, 2011. Retrieved April 28, 2011.
- "Toronto Advances To NCC Final". Toronto FC. May 5, 2011. Retrieved May 5, 2011.
- "Reds Rocket to NCC Final". Toronto FC. May 4, 2011. Retrieved May 4, 2011.
- "Joao Plata Named Player of the Week". Toronto FC. May 2011
- "Toronto FC wins 2011 Nutrilite Canadian Championship". Canada Soccer Association. July 2, 2011. Retrieved July 9, 2011.
- "Plata wins 2011 George Gross Memorial Award". Canada Soccer Association. July 2, 2011. Retrieved July 9, 2011.
- "Plata Paces Toronto To Victory". Toronto FC. July 27, 2011. Retrieved July 28, 2011.
- "Toronto tops Dallas to reach CCL quarters". CONCACAF. October 18, 2011. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- "Plata's transfer fee". CSN.
- "TFC Agree To Terms With Joao Plata". TFC. January 10, 2012.
- "CCL: So Near Yet So Far". TFC. April 5, 2012.
- "Plata Loan Deal Finalized". Toronto FC. July 2012
- "Plata's TFC future up in air; agent tweets he may join RSL". MLSsoccer.com. January 24, 2013
- "Real Salt Lake acquires FW Joao Plata from Toronto". Real Salt Lake. January 2013
- "Real Salt Lake Twitter Account". Twitter. Real Salt Lake. May 3, 2014. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "Plata Receives Ecuador Call". Toronto FC. May 21, 2011. Retrieved May 22, 2011.
- "Joao Plata Makes Ecuador Debut". Toronto FC. June 1, 2011. Retrieved June 4, 2011.