Jocelyn (Op. 100) is a four-act opera by Benjamin Godard, set to a French libretto by Paul Armand Silvestre and the tenor Victor Capoul. Based on the poem by Alphonse de Lamartine, the action takes place in Grenoble and the surrounding mountains during Corpus Christi at the close of the 18th century. The score bears a dedication "A mon ami Daniel Barton".
Jocelyn premièred on 25 February 1888 at Le Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie in Brussels, Belgium with Pierre-Émile Engel creating the title role. A production with a new cast, including Capoul in the title role, opened in Paris at the Théâtre-Lyrique-National on October 13 of the same year.
|Voice type||Premiere cast, February 25, 1888
(conductor: Joseph Dupont)
|Young mountain girl||mezzo-soprano||Angèle Legault|
|Jocelyn's mother||mezzo-soprano||L Van Besten|
|The bishop||bass-baritone||Arthur Henri Seguin|
|Laurence's father||baritone||Jacques Isnardon|
|Old man||bass||Jules Vinche|
|Old shepherd||Jules Vinche|
The popular Berceuse has been recorded by many tenors, including Capoul, John McCormack, Beniamino Gigli, Edmond Clément, Richard Crooks, Nicolai Gedda, Jussi Björling and Plácido Domingo, as well as by the cellist Pablo Casals.
Notes and references
- Possibly Sir Daniel Fitzgerald Packenham Barton, the counsul general after whom the park in Geneva is named.
- Upton and Borowski (1947) p. 182
- The cast lists from the Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie digital archives, Casaglia (2005), and Godard (1888, First edition of the score) are not in complete agreement with other.
- Godard, Benjamin (1888) Vocal score: Jocelyn Op.100. Casaglia (2005) names the singer as Franklyn.
- Godard, Benjamin (1888) Vocal score: Jocelyn Op.100. Casaglia (2005) names the singer as Rouyer
- Godard, Benjamin (1888) Vocal score: Jocelyn Op.100
- The Berceuse is ubiquitous in cello encore albums.
- Casaglia, Gherardo (2005). "Benjamin Godard". Almanacco Amadeus (Italian).
- Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie Digital archives. Premiere cast list: Jocelyn. Accessed 15 March 2011 (French)
- Godard, Benjamin (1888) Vocal score: Jocelyn Op.100. Paris: Choudens fils (nd.) at IMSLP
- Upton, George Putnam and Borowski, Felix (1947). The Standard Concert Guide. Halcyon House.