Jody Turner is an American entrepreneur and futurist known for her international brand insight and trend futurism research, writing and keynote presenting. In early 2020, Turner was ranked among the world's Top 50 Female Futurists by Forbes and joined global marketing agency The Marketing Arm (TMA) as Innovation Education Lead / Strategic Trendwatcher.
Born in the U.S. and raised in part overseas, Turner settled on the West Coast (USA) as a young adult. Turner received a Liberal Arts degree from Evergreen State College Olympia, Washington, a self-generating curriculum school, where her studies centered on the understanding of current-to-future human endeavors in design and culture.
Turner began her professional career as a visual communications designer, working 15 years+ from San Francisco to New York City, including tenure as communications designer with Nike’s trend resource team. Subsequent design and trend insight work included consulting with Starbucks international retail brand teams and a full-time role instigating a trend library for The Gap/Old Navy with Ivy Ross. In 2003, Turner met Reinier Evers of Trendwatching.com at a round table in France, and cites this encounter as critical to launching her career as a trend hunter futurist. That same year Turner founded her company Culture of Future (CoF).
Turner speaks at international conferences across the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Australia, and within developing nations. She is a regular speaker at the Sustainable Brands Conference in Istanbul. In 2009 she was awarded a World Brand Congress Leadership Award in Mumbai  and has worked on numerous global projects focused on empowering women and girls, including the Nike Foundation Girl Effect out of London, and the Forbes Girl Quake project with Denise Restauri.
In 2010, Turner mentored then-Creative Studies design student Veronika Scott, and assisted her in the founding of American humanitarian project the Empowerment Plan. The organization provides employment and training to homeless women as they hand-make sleeping-bag coats distributed to the homeless of Detroit, as well as globally via disaster relief programs.
Boards & Associations
- Advisor for MIT Technology Review
- Advisor for LinkedIn
- Content curator for the San Francisco impact entrepreneur and investor conference SoCap14
- Former Member of the Advisory Board for the Empowerment Plan, a Detroit-based project aimed at easing homelessness by employing homeless women to create coats that transform into sleeping bags, distributed free of charge to those who need one.
- Former Member of the Advisory Board for Cria Global, the organization charged with creating the social legacy guidelines for the Rio 2016 Olympics.
- Member of the Advisory Board for Women 2.1 Summit, Ghana, Africa
- "Jody Turner: A Glimpse Into Your Future" interview by impactmania
- Jody Turner for IDEO in Fast Company Co.Design
- Jody Turner presents at 2019 Knowledge Management Conference, Washington, D.C., on the future of search and internet information access. “What Drives Knowledge Sharing.”
- Jody Turner speaks at TedX Helsinki on "Opportunity"
- Jody Turner on Dr. Phil Show
- Forbes 50 Leading Female Futurists
- The Marketing Arm on LinkedIn
- Impactmania interview with Reinier Evers by Jody Turner
- Jody Turner for TedX Helsinki
- Jody Turner at iMedia, Gold Coast, Australia
- Brand Leadership Award in Mumbai reception clip
- The Nike Foundation Girl Effect
- Denise Restauri on Forbes
- Shareable.net "The Empowerment Plan: Social Innovation Style in Detroit"
- Jody Turner for Fast Company
- Stanford Social Innovation Review
- Jody Turner for GOOD Magazine
- "The Empowerment Plan: Social Innovation Style in Detroit" by Jody Turner
- Interview with Jody Turner on "Glimpse" by Impactmania