Joe's Crab Shack
|Founded||1991Houston, Texas, United Statesin|
|Headquarters||Westchase District, Houston, Texas, United States|
Joe's Crab Shack opened its first location in Houston, Texas in 1991. Landry's Restaurants, Inc. purchased the original Joe's in Houston in early 1994 to convert it into a Landry's Restaurant. By 1995 the chain had grown to three locations in Houston and one in Dallas.
Today the brand includes a national chain featuring a festive but laid-back atmosphere.
On November 17, 2006, Joe's was sold to J.H. Whitney & Company, a privately held company, operating as JCS Holdings, LLC. The sales price was $192 million including the assumption of liabilities of $225 million.
JCS Holdings changed their name to Ignite Restaurant Group in April 2009 and operated the 130 existing Joe's and 26 Brickhouse Tavern and Tap restaurants. Ignite Restaurant Group went public in 2012. The company was headquartered on Westpark Drive near the Westchase District of Houston.
As of January 2014, Joe's had a total of 138 restaurants located in 35 states. The state with the highest number of locations is Texas, which had 28.
Ignite Restaurant Group filed for bankruptcy protection on June 6, 2017, and was re-acquired by Landry's Restaurants, Inc. in August 2017, the company that had sold it to Ignite's predecessor.
In August 2017, the chain closed 40 locations in several states amid bankruptcy proceedings as Landry's prepared to take over. Landry's has plans to re-focus the chain, and then to grow it again.
In March 2016, the Joe's location in Roseville, MN was criticized for including a photo of the Texas execution by hanging of Joseph Burleson, a black man convicted of murder, as table decor. The photo included a cartoon bubble reading "All I said was that I didn't like the gumbo." The use of the photo was condemned by the NAACP and the City of Roseville, among others. A spokesman for Joe's Crab Shack apologized.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Pete, Joseph S. Pete. "Joe's Crab Shack near Southlake Mall abruptly closes". nwitimes.com. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
- "Landry's to unload Joe's Crab Shack eateries". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- "Ignite Restaurant Feasts On $81 Million IPO Raise". Investor's Business Daily. 2012-05-11. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- Chainleader.com Archived April 7, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- Joe's Crab Shack Locations
- CNBC (2017-06-06). "Joe's Crab Shack owner Ignite files for bankruptcy". Retrieved 2017-06-07.
- BizJournals (2017-08-09). "Parent co. of Joe's Crab Shack back in hands of Tilman Fertitta". Retrieved 2017-08-10.
- Pulsinelli, Olivia (2017-08-18). "Court approves Landry's deal to buy Joe's Crab Shack parent co". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- "Joe's Crab Shack abruptly closes 40 locations amid bankruptcy proceedings". UPI. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- "Joe's Crab Shack sorry for controversial picture".