Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics
|Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics|
|Genre(s)||2D action platformer|
Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics,[a] known in the PAL region as Joe & Mac 3: Lost in the Tropics, is a Super Nintendo Entertainment System video game and a sequel to Joe & Mac. It is the follow-up to Congo's Caper, the second game in the series.
The object of the game is to defeat Neanderthals with two caveman ninja heroes along with dinosaurs and huge level bosses. Each player controls either Joe or Mac with limited lives and continues. Players can also choose to fall in love with a girlfriend in their Stone Age village; giving her flowers and meat as presents. Once the player gets married, he gets to father a child. Stone wheels are the official currency in the game and players can replay levels in order to get more stone wheels. An overhead free roam map offers a chance for players to select their level like they were playing a console role-playing game. The action-packed levels are in side view.
Boss enemies include Stegosaurus, Pteranodon, Triceratops, Elasmosaurus, and Tyrannosaurus. After defeating each boss, the player will earn one of the rainbow stones. During the game, friendly creatures such as Pteranodon, Styracosaurus and Plesiosaurus will give the player a ride.
The game features six levels, including a valley, a jungle, a snowy mountain range, a swamp, and a volcano. In the final level, the player must defeat each of the boss enemies a second time before battling Gork. When Gork is defeated, he gains power from the crown and turns into a warthog demon. When Gork is defeated a second time, the player will earn the crown and end the game.
GamePro gave the game a moderately positive review, commenting that "If you already like Joe and his buddy Mac, you'll like 'em even more after playing this long, colorful game." In 2011, IGN listed the game as number 61 on their list of the top 100 SNES video games.
- Known in Japan as Caveman Combat 3: The Protagonists Are Joe & Mac Again (戦え原始人3 主役はやっぱり ジョー&マック Tatakae Genshinjin Surī: Shuyaku wa Yappari Jō to Makku)
- "Story overview/additional release information". MobyGames. Retrieved 2010-04-27.
- "Release information". GameFAQs. Retrieved 2010-04-26.
- "Japanese-English title translation". SuperFamicom.org. Retrieved 2012-07-28.
- "Advanced story overview". Hard Core Gaming 101. Retrieved 2010-04-29.
- "ProReview: Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics". GamePro (58). IDG. May 1994. p. 74.
- "Top 100 Super Nintendo (SNES) Video Games – Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics". IGN. 2011. Retrieved 2016-05-06.
- Tatakae Genshijin 3 - Shuyaku ha Yappari - Joe & Mac at superfamicom.org
- 戦え原始人3 / Tatakae Genshijin 3 at super-famicom.jp (in Japanese)