Joe A. Callaway Award for Civic Courage
The Joe A. Callaway Award for Civic Courage is presented annually by The Shafeek Nader Trust for the Community Interest. The Callaway Award "recognizes individuals who take a public stance to advance truth and justice, at some personal risk". The award was established by in 1990 by Joe Callaway to recognize "individuals in any area of endeavor who, with integrity and at some personal risk, take a public stance to advance truth and justice, and who challenged prevailing conditions in pursuit of the common good."
The first recipient of the award was Joseph A. Kinney, of the National Safe Workplace in Chicago, who was credited for his fearless advovacy of safety for America's workers.
In 2012, the award was shared by William Binney & J. Kirk Wiebe for their work on Government Data Centers & Spying on Citizens, as well as John Kiriakou for his work on the Government’s Torture Policy.
In 2006 the Sharon Shaffer, Charlie Swift and Bunnatine Greenhouse were awarded the prize. Shaffer and Swift were military officers who vigorously defended Guantanamo captives before Guantanamo military commissions. Greenhouse was a contracting officer employed by the US Army Corps of Engineers, who exposed financial improprieties.
1994 Robert Bigham, Julie Boyd, Roger Crisafi, Von Marie Erkert, Sherene Lee Jennings, James Keefer, Thomas Vernon Russell Jr., Dennis Shrader, Steven Craig Slagowski, Joseph A. Villarreal, Carroll E. Cox, Allan Nairn
2004 David Graham, Mark Livingston
2006 John Thayer[disambiguation needed], Thomas Baker, Frank Binns, Martin R. Blanchet, Edward J. Hill, Richard Leonard, Charles Morris, Christian Raley, Scott Smith, Timothy Taylor, Maria Gunnoe, Edward (Ed) Wiley
2014 Marcy Benstock, Dinesh Thakur
- Journalist, Biologist and Medical Researcher Receive Civic Courage Award
- Meghan Ferris, Barry Williams (2006-12-14). "The Shafeek Nader Trust For The Community Interest Presents The Annual Joe A. Callaway Award For Civic Courage". Organized Voices and Empowered Communities. Retrieved 2013-07-01.
- "About The Joe A. Callaway Award for Civic Courage". The Joe A. Callaway Award for Civic Justice. Retrieved 2013-07-01.
- "For Immediate Release: Callaway Awards Tuesday November 13, 2012". The Joe A. Callaway Award for Civic Justice. 2012-11-13. Retrieved 2013-07-01.
- Dar Jamal & Dr. Linda Peeno Honored with Joe A. Callaway Award for Civic Courage
- Watchdog Editor (2006-03-08). "Lawyers for Guantanamo prisoners lauded". Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard University. Archived from the original on 2010-09-04. Retrieved 2010-09-04.
- "Past Winners of The Joe A. Callaway Award for Civic Courage". The Joe A. Callaway Award for Civic Courage. Retrieved 2013-07-01.