Joe A. Porter
|Joe A. Porter|
|Known for||Landscape architect|
Joe A. Porter is a professional landscape architect and Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects. For the past thirty years, Mr. Porter has worked with new community, natural resource, and resort developers to advance the art of community development through design. In 1969 Mr. Porter co-founded Design Workshop. Design Workshop is an award-winning, international firm practising landscape architecture, land planning, urban design and tourism planning. He is currently an adjunct professor in the graduate program in landscape architecture at the University of Colorado and frequently speaks at conferences and universities on community development and sustainability issues.
- Founding partner, past president and past chairman of the board of Design Workshop.
- Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects.
- Former board member and former president of the Landscape Architecture Foundation.
- Former board member and former president of The Center for Design Innovation.
- Full member of the Urban Land Institute.
- Former Assistant professor of landscape architecture at Louisiana State University and the School of Design at North Carolina State University.
- Graduated from the Utah State University,
- Master's degree in Landscape Architecture from the University of Illinois
Co-founder of Design Workshop
In 1969 Joe Porter and Don Ensign founded Design Workshop. The name is derived from the collaborative process with which they taught in the landscape architecture department at North Carolina State University. The firm practices landscape architecture, land planning, urban design and tourism planning. They combine principles of smart growth, sustainable design and environmentally sound planning to reconcile economic needs with the preservation of scenic, cultural and community values. Their earliest projects engaged them in planning new communities in Columbia, Maryland, and Raleigh, North Carolina, as well as resort work on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Since its inception, Design Workshop has earned more than seventy design awards from such organizations as the American Society of Landscape Architects, the American Planning Association and the Urban Land Institute. Presently, the firm comprises 140 designers, planners and support staff in six North American offices in Aspen, Denver, Salt Lake City, Lake Tahoe, Austin and Asheville, North Carolina.
- "2003 ASLA Annual Meeting & Expo, Sunday Education Sessions" American Society of Landscape Architects Online
- McNeigh, Gilbert, "A Practical Guide to Successful Land Use Approvals: Procedures, Politics & Pitfalls in Land Use Planning and Zoning" (Paper presented at the Thirteenth Annual Conference of the Rocky Mountain Land Use Institute, University of Denver College of Law, March 12, 2004).
- Design Workshop Firm Profile