Barry coaching at USC in 2010.
|Title||Defensive Coordinator/ Outside Linebackers Coach|
|Date of birth||July 5, 1970|
|Place of birth||Boulder, Colorado|
|College||University of Michigan (1989-1990) University of Southern California (1990-1993)|
|Coaching stats||Pro Football Reference|
|Team(s) as a coach/administrator|
Joe Barry (born July 5, 1970) is an American football coach who is currently defensive coordinator for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL). Barry is the son of former Detroit Lions offensive line coach Mike Barry, and the son-in-law of former Detroit Lions head coach, Rod Marinelli.
Barry played linebacker at the University of Michigan from 1989-1990 before transferring to the University of Southern California. Prior to coaching in the NFL, Barry held coaching positions in college football at Northern Arizona, UNLV, and USC.
At a press conference on December 21, 2008, following the Lions' 42-27 loss to the New Orleans Saints, Detroit News sports columnist Rob Parker addressed a question about Barry to Rod Marinelli, inquiring whether Marinelli wished that his daughter had "married a better defensive coordinator." The question was criticized as unprofessional and inappropriate. The next day, Parker wrote that the comment was "an attempt at humor" and not a malicious attack. Parker has not written for the Detroit News since, and has not attended any press conferences since the incident, including the one Marinelli gave following his dismissal as head coach of the Lions. On January 6, 2009, the Detroit News announced that Parker had resigned from the newspaper the previous week.
Barry signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars as linebackers coach. On January 26, 2010, it was announced that the Jaguars released Barry from his contract so he can join the University of Southern California as their linebackers coach. Barry was hired as the Washington Redskins defensive coordinator on January 20, 2015.
- "Fox analysts lambast Detroit News reporter for question to Marinelli". Detroit Free Press. 2008-12-21. Retrieved 2008-12-22.[dead link]
- Parker, Rob (2008-12-22). "There's more to Marinelli". Detroit News. Retrieved 2008-12-22.[dead link]
- Detroit News Columnist Who Insulted Coach Quits SI.com, January 6, 2009[dead link]
- "Bucs lose Joe Barry to USC; name LBs, DBs coaches". St. Petersburg Times. 2010-01-26. Retrieved 2010-01-26.[dead link]
- Walker, Andrew. "Redskins Hire Joe Barry As Defensive Coordinator". Redskins.com. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
|Detroit Lions Defensive Coordinators
|Washington Redskins Defensive Coordinators