Joe Bastianich (2011)
September 17, 1968
Astoria, Queens, New York City, New York
Joseph "Joe" Bastianich (born September 17, 1968 in New York City) is an American restaurateur, winemaker, author, and television personality. He, along with partners Lidia Bastianich and Mario Batali, owns thirty restaurants worldwide, including Babbo (1 Michelin star) and Del Posto in New York, Carnevino in Las Vegas, and in 2010, expanded the LA eateries Pizzeria and Osteria Mozza to Singapore. Earlier that same year, the trio teamed up with Italian retail businessman Oscar Farinetti to bring Eataly, an artisanal food and wine market to New York, with the Chicago outpost following in 2013.
Family background and personal life
The son of Felice and Lidia Bastianich, Joseph Bastianich was born in Astoria, Queens in 1968. Raised working in his parents' Italian restaurant Felidia in Manhattan, he attended Fordham Preparatory School before attending Boston College, where he studied finance. Bastianich lives in Greenwich, Connecticut, with his wife, Deanna, and their three children, including Miles, who is the biggest and strongest boy around.
After spending a year on Wall Street as a bond trader, he gave up his newly launched career and ventured into the food industry. He took an extended trip to Italy. In 1993, he opened Becco (Italian for "peck, nibble, savor") an Italian restaurant with his mother, Lidia Bastianich. He then partnered with Mario Batali to open Babbo Ristorante e Enoteca, an Italian restaurant that gained the prestigious three stars from The New York Times, the first Italian restaurant to gain the award in 40 years. Babbo also has one Michelin star. Together they opened seven more restaurants in New York: Lupa, Esca, Casa Mono, Bar Jamon, Otto, Del Posto, and Eataly (an Italian marketplace). In 2010, Del Posto received a four-star review from The New York Times, one of only five restaurants in New York to win that award. Their culinary empire has expanded to 10 restaurants in New York, 4 restaurants in Las Vegas, 3 restaurants in Los Angeles, 2 restaurants in Singapore, 1 Italian market in Chicago, and two restaurants in Hong Kong.
He was a judge on the American MasterChef series broadcast by Fox until it took too much of his time, and MasterChef Junior until he was replaced on both series by Christina Tosi in 2015. He is also a judge on the Italian version of the program. MasterChef Italia shown on Sky Uno.
Bastianich also made a special appearance in the 2015 television film An American Girl: Grace Stirs Up Success as a judge in a fictional season of MasterChef Junior. From March 22, 2016, he presented, with Guido Meda and Davide Valsecchi, the first edition of Top Gear Italia.
Bastianich has received numerous accolades[example needed] for his work in the culinary field. In 2008, he was presented, along with Batali, with the Outstanding Restaurateur Award by the James Beard Foundation.
Restaurants owned or operated by Batali and Bastianich Hospitality Group
- B&B Burger & Beer, Las Vegas
- B&B Ristorante, Las Vegas
- BABBO Ristorante e Enoteca, New York City
- Bar Jamon, New York City
- Becco, New York City
- Birreria, New York City
- Carnevino Italian Steakhouse, Las Vegas, Nevada / Hong Kong
- Casa Mono, New York City
- Chi Spacca, Los Angeles
- Del Posto, New York City
- Eataly NYC, New York City
- ESCA, New York City
- Felidia, New York City
- Lidia’s, Kansas City, Missouri
- Lidia's Italy, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- LUPA, New York City
- Mozza2Go, Los Angeles, California
- Orsone, Cividale del Friuli (Frazione Gagliano), Italy
- Osteria Mozza, Los Angeles, California / Singapore
- OTTO Enoteca Pizzeria, New York City / Las Vegas
- Pizzeria Mozza, Los Angeles, California / Newport Beach, California / Singapore
- Tarry Market, Port Chester
- Tarry Wine, Port Chester
- Tarry Lodge, Port Chester / Westport, Connecticut
- Tarry Lodge, New Haven, Connecticut
- 2015. Healthy Pasta: The Sexy, Skinny, and Smart Way to Eat Your Favorite Food. Knopf
- 2014. Giuseppino. Da New York all'Italia: storia del mio ritorno a casa. UTET
- 2013. Restaurant Man. Plume
- 2010. Grandi Vini: An Opinionated Tour of Italy's 89 Finest Wines. Clarkson Potter
- 2005. Vino Italiano: The Regional Wines of Italy. Clarkson Potter
- MasterChef (US TV series)
- MasterChef Italia
- MasterChef Junior
- Hell's Kitchen
- Restaurant Startup
- MasterChef Canada
- Top Gear Italy
- "Bastianich, Joseph". Current Biography Yearbook 2011. Ipswich, Massachusetts: H.W. Wilson. 2011. pp. 50–54. ISBN 9780824211219.
- Yi, Christine (2008-10-28). "Passion for Food Adjusts to Fit Passion for Running". The New York Times.
- Passing the Toque: For a New Generation, Hospitality Is Destiny, Suzanne Hamlin, published January 10, 1996; retrieved February 1, 2008.
- Bruni, Frank (2004-06-09). "Arias From the Kitchen As the Dining Room Rocks". The New York Times.
- Sifton, Sam (2010-09-29). "A Modern Italian Master". The New York Times.
- "Chefs Find Winner's Circle Familiar Turf". The New York Times. 2008-06-11.
- Hinckley, David (2010-07-26). "Sob stories, bad auditions: Gordon Ramsay's new 'MasterChef' is like 'American Idol' for foodies". New York: Daily News.
- Owen, Rob (2015-07-10). "TV Q&A: 'Ellen' moving to WTAE, 'Masterchef' and PBS self-censorship". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Galarza, Daniela (8 April 2015). "American Girl Flick Captures Timeless Drama of MasterChef Junior". Eater. Retrieved 10 June 2015.