Born in Teaneck, New Jersey, DiPietro grew up in nearby Oradell, the son of Lou and Jean DiPietro. He attended Oradell Public School and River Dell Regional High School, before graduating Phi Beta Kappa from Rutgers University in 1984 with a bachelor's degree in English.
DiPietro's first produced work was I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change, written with composer Jimmy Roberts, which ran for twelve years (5,003 performances) off-Broadway at the Westside Theatre. He followed that up with 1998's comedy Over the River and Through the Woods, which played the John Houseman Theatre for 800 performances over two years.
DiPietro's work made its Broadway debut in 2005 with the Elvis Presley jukebox musical All Shook Up. The Toxic Avenger, written with Bon Jovi's David Bryan, debuted off-Broadway on April 6, 2009, and won the Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding New Off-Broadway Musical.
DiPietro and Bryan's Memphis won the 2010 Tony Award for Best Musical. It ran at the Shubert Theatre for three years (1,165 performances) and continues in touring production all over the country. DiPietro won Tony Awards for Best Book and Best Score, and the show also received the Tony, Drama Desk, and Outer Critics Circle Awards for Best Musical.
Nice Work If You Can Get It, a re-imagining of a Gershwin musical, starring Matthew Broderick and Kelli O'Hara, opened at Broadway's Imperial Theatre in 2012. The show, and DiPietro's book, were nominated for Tony Awards in 2012, and DiPietro won the Drama Desk Award for Best Book of a Musical.
The musical Chasing the Song, which reunited DiPietro with Bryan, was workshopped at La Jolla Playhouse in the summer of 2014. 2014 also saw DiPietro reworking the Garson Kanin play Peccadillo into Living on Love, which starred the opera star Renée Fleming and was a highlight of the 2014 Williamstown Theatre Festival.
Other recent plays include Creating Claire, which debuted at George Street Playhouse in 2010, and The Last Romance, which played the Old Globe in 2010 after debuting at Kansas City's New Theatre in 2008.
- 2014 Chasing The Song (still in workshop) (book and lyrics) with music by David Bryan of Bon Jovi
- 2014 Living On Love (author)
- 2013 Clever Little Lies (author)
- 2012 Nice Work If You Can Get It (Broadway) (book)
- 2010 Creating Claire (author)
- 2010 Falling For Eve (book)
- 2009 Memphis (book and lyrics) with music by David Bryan of Bon Jovi
- 2008 The Toxic Avenger book and lyrics with music by David Bryan, based on the movie
- 2008 Fucking Men, an adaptation of Schnitzler's La Ronde (1897)
- 2008 The Last Romance (author)
- 2005 All Shook Up (Broadway) (book)
- 2004 Allegro (adaptation, writer)
- 2003 The Thing About Men (Off-Broadway) (book, lyrics) (musical version of the German comedy film by Doris Dörrie, Männer... (Men...), from 1985) with music by Jimmy Roberts
- 2002 Babes in Arms (adaptation, writer)
- 2001 They All Laughed (book) (a very loose adaptation of Oh, Kay!) 
- 2000 Art Of Murder (author)
- 1998 Over the River and Through the Woods (Off-Broadway) (author)
- 1998 Kiss At City Hall (author)
- 1996 I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change (Off-Broadway) (book and lyrics) with music by Jimmy Roberts
- 1994 The Virgin Weeps (author) 
- 1991 Love Lemmings (author, lyricist) 
Awards and nominations
- Tony Award 2012: Best Book of a Musical – Nice Work If You Can Get It (nominee)
- Drama Desk Award 2012: Best Book of a Musical – Nice Work If You Can Get It (winner)
- The Drama League 2012: Distinguished Production of a Musical – Nice Work If You Can Get It (nominee)
- Outer Critics Circle Award: Best Book of a Musical – Nice Work If You Can Get It (nominee)
- Tony Award 2010: Best Original Score Written for the Theatre – Memphis (winner, with David Bryan)
- Tony Award 2010: Best Book of a Musical – Memphis (winner)
- Outer Critics Circle Award 2010: Outstanding New Score – Memphis (winner)
- The Drama League 2010: Distinguished Production of a Musical – Memphis (nominee)
- Drama Desk Award 2010: Outstanding Book of a Musical – Memphis (nominee)
- Outer Critics Circle Award 2009: Outstanding New Off-Broadway Musical – The Toxic Avenger (winner)
- Drama Desk Award 2009: Outstanding Book of a Musical – The Toxic Avenger (nominee)
- The Drama League 2009: Distinguished Production of a Musical – The Toxic Avenger (nominee)
- Lucille Lortel Awards 2010: Outstanding Off-Broadway Musical – The Toxic Avenger (nominee)
- Edgar Award 2000: Best Mystery Play – The Art of Murder (winner)
- William Inge Theater Festival New Voices In American Theater Award
- O'Neill National Playwright's Conference MacArthur Award for comic writing 
- Tallmer, Jerry (July 4–10, 1998). "Eleven years running, just perfect, why change?". The Villager. Retrieved 2008-02-16.
- "Giving Allegro a heart transplant", The Washington Times
- Ouzounian, Richard, Richard. "Toxic Avenger found his bard in Bon Jovi: Band's David Bryan just wants people to sing the songs he writes", Toronto Star, December 6, 2009. Accessed December 6, 2009. "He got a crash course in how to do it when he met up with Joe DiPietro, another Jersey boy (this one from Teaneck)."
- Theater; New Musical Headed For American Stage, The New York Times
- Playbill News: A Perfect Love
- Klein, Alvin (October 11, 1998). "In Person; Family, Faith, Food and Fun". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-02-16.
- Doubling Down With Joe DiPietro; 2 of his shows open in area, Daily News
- "Memphis belle". Dallas Voice, May 10, 2012.
- Gans, Andrew (July 27, 2008). "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change Ends NYC Run After More Than a Decade". Playbill. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- "Marlo Thomas Stars in Off-Broadway Marriage Comedy Clever Little Lies by Harry Haun, The New York Observer, 1 October 2015
- Gates, Anita (May 28, 2010). "Old Battle, New Play: Religion vs. Science". New York Times. Retrieved 2008-02-16.
- Propst, Andy (August 11, 2010). "Review Roundup: Joe DiPietro's The Last Romance, With Marion Ross, Paul Michael, Opens at the Old Globe". TheaterMania. Retrieved 2008-02-16.
- Koehler, Marieann (September 23, 2008). "The New Theatre Restaurant: Last Romance Review". Entertainment Spectrum. Retrieved 2008-02-16.
- Joe DiPietro To Open Newest Play In UK 5/16, Broadwayworld, May 15, 2008
- Theater; A Not-So-New Gershwin Musical, The New York Times
- doollee.com The Playwrights Database
- Playbill Biography: JOE DiPIETRO
- Lortel Archives, provides a catalogue of shows produced Off-Broadway.
- R&H Theatricals, biography Joe DiPietro