Joe Duplantier at Rock im Park in 2017.
|Birth name||Joseph Andrew Duplantier|
|Also known as||JoeGira|
|Born||19 October 1976|
|Genres||Thrash metal, groove metal, progressive metal, death metal|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, bass, drums, flute|
Devin Townsend Project
Joseph Andrew Duplantier (born 19 October 1976 in Paris) is a French musician best known as the rhythm guitarist and vocalist of metal band Gojira. He is also the former bassist of Cavalera Conspiracy, to which he was invited by Max Cavalera.
Joe and his brother Mario wrote their first song, titled 'Victim,' in 1996. Their band, initially called Godzilla, was later renamed Gojira. Gojira's debut studio album, Terra Incognita, was released in 2001.
Max Cavalera and Igor Cavalera initially asked Jean-Michel Labadie, bassist of Gojira, to do bass duties for their band, Cavalera Conspiracy; however, Labadie was busy with prior commitments, including Gojira. Instead, Duplantier ended up being the band's bassist. He has stated that Gojira is his main priority and that is the reason he has not done extensive touring with Cavalera Conspiracy. In 2008, he was replaced by Johny Chow on bass duties for Cavalera Conspiracy. Duplantier did not appear on the band's second album, Blunt Force Trauma.
Joe is the owner of Silver Cord Studio, a recording studio located in New York, which he designed himself.
Joe also plays drums occasionally during live performances when he and his brother Mario Duplantier switch places.
Joe was born in Paris but raised in Bayonne, South-West France near from Basque country. He started playing his mother's classical guitar, which only had three strings. His mother played and sang country music, having grown up in Wisconsin and California. Due to this, Joe has dual citizenship of France and the USA.
His mother was a yoga instructor, his father is a painter and his sister Gabrielle is a photographer. Joe went to the university during two years and four years in an art school, then he started working as a graphic designer. Afterward, Joe decided to live in a cabin that he had previously built. He lived with his girlfriend in this cabin in a forest during two years without income or electricity. Terra Incognita was written during this experience.
Some of the lyrical themes of Gojira reflect Duplantier's personal beliefs in preserving the environment. He is part of the environmental corporation Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. Joe is a vegan.
When playing with Gojira in 2009, Duplantier's equipment was listed as the following:
- Charvel Joe Duplantier Signature San Dimas Style 2
- Charvel Joe Duplantier Signature Pro Mod San Dimas Style 2
- Jackson SLS Guitar
- EVH 5150 III amplifier head
- EVH 5150 III 4x12 Cab
- Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner pedal
- Noise Suppressor pedal
- Dunlop .88 millimeter tortex picks
- DiMarzio ClipLock black strap
- Victim (as Godzilla) (1996)
- Possessed (as Godzilla) (1997)
- Saturate (as Godzilla) (1999)
- Wisdom Comes (as Godzilla) (2000)
- Maciste All'Inferno (Gojira) (2003)
- End of Time (Gojira) (2012)
- Studio albums
- Terra Incognita (2001)
- The Link (2003)
- From Mars to Sirius (2005)
- The Way of All Flesh (2008)
- L'Enfant Sauvage (2012)
- Magma (2016)
- Sanctuary (single, 2008)
- Inflikted (full-length, 2008)
As a guest or session musician
- Eros & Thanatos by Manimal (on "Dead Meat") (full-length, 2004)
- Through the Absurd by Trepalium (on "Sauvage") (full-length, 2004)
- Contraires by MyPollux (on "Coffre à Souhaits") (full-length, 2006)
- Demi Deuil by Aygghon (on "La Terre Dolente") (full-length, 2006)
- All Seeing Eyes]] by Klone (on "All Seeing Eyes") (full-length, 2008)
- For Death, Glory and the End of the World by Kruger (on "Muscle") (full-length, 2009)
- 7th Symphony by Apocalyptica (on "Bring Them to Light") (full-length, 2010)
- Deconstruction by Devin Townsend Project (on "Sumeria", alongside Paul Masvidal of Cynic) (full-length, 2011)
- w^w^^w^w by Car Bomb (on "Third Revelation") (full-length, 2012)
- Damballa's Voodoo Doll by Trepalium (on "Damballa's Voodoo Doll", alongside Matthieu Metzger of Klone(full-length, 2015)
- Meta by Car Bomb (on "The Oppressor") (full-length, 2016)
- MCID by Highly Suspect (on "SOS") (full-length, 2019)
- Redding, Dan. "Gojira's Joe Duplantier talks Metallica, Vegetarianism and NYC Dreams on the Culture Creature Podcast". Culture Creature. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- Gojira: Some Kind of Monster knac.com. 14 October 2008. Retrieved on 11 August 2009.
- "Slayer Stories from Pantera, Slash, Slipknot, Korn, Rob Zombie, Johnny Knoxville, Deftones, Gojira, and more". artistdirect.com. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- Interview with Joe Duplantier of Gojira culturebully.com. 10 November 2008. Retrieved on 10 August 2009.
- Gojira Interview With Joe Duplantier youtube.com. 5 July 2009. Retrieved on 11 August 2009.
- "SILVER CORD Studio - Constructing SILVER CORD STUDIO". silvercordstudio.com. Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- "Radio 1's Rock Show with Daniel P Carter". BBC. Retrieved 22 August 2018.
- "Gojira's Joe Duplantier: My Life Story". www.revolvermag.com. 2 September 2012. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- "Joe Duplantier talks Metallica, Randy Blythe, environmentalism, pizza and more". www.revolvermag.com. 1 March 2007. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- "Shifting into interstellar overdrive with Gojira". www.austinchronicle.com. 15 February 2007. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- Gojira's Joe Duplantier: The Official Metalsucks
Boner FestInterview MetalSucks. 13 January 2009. Retrieved on 10 August 2009.
- Gojira's Joe Duplantier Orders You to Support Sea Shepherd in the Antarctic MetalSucks. 9 December 2008. Retrieved on 10 August 2009.
- "Joe Duplantier Talks 'Magma' Album, NYC, Changing Direction". Loudwire. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Gojira - Joe Duplantier Guitar Rig Gear and Equipment". uberproaudio.com. 2009. Archived from the original on 6 December 2009. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- Greg Kennelty. "GOJIRA Frontman's Appearance On A TREPALIUM Song Is Just Perfect - Metal Injection". Metal Injection. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joe Duplantier.|