Joe Esposito (author)
Joe Esposito 2013 on stage at 12th European Elvis Festival in Bad Nauheim
|Born||Joseph Carmine Esposito
January 22, 1938
|Died||November 23, 2016 (aged 78)
Joseph Carmine Esposito (January 22, 1938 – November 23, 2016) was internationally known as Elvis Presley's road manager and friend. After Elvis' death, Joe became an author and publisher of several Elvis books.
Association with Elvis Presley
Esposito is best known for his association with Elvis Presley (see Memphis Mafia). He first met Presley while serving in the military in 1958 at an Army base in Friedberg, West Germany. They both went through basic training at Fort Hood, Texas, but did not meet face to face until a year later when they were both stationed in West Germany, where they quickly became lifelong friends. Esposito became Elvis's road manager and friend beginning in 1960. Esposito served as co-best man, with Marty Lacker at Elvis's wedding while Esposito's wife, Joanie, served as the matron of honor. After Elvis' death in 1977, Esposito went to work for Jerry Weintraub becoming the road manager for greats including Michael Jackson, The Bee Gees, Karen Carpenter and John Denver.
Esposito, Col. Tom Parker and Jerry Schilling served as principal consultants in the movie This Is Elvis.
Esposito was a consultant on multiple Elvis projects and was considered one of the most respected sources on Elvis. His home movies are featured in many projects including the CBS Primetime Special, "Elvis By the Presleys".
Esposito has 3 children, Debbie and Cindy from his first marriage to Joan (Roberts) and Anthony from his second marriage to Martha Gallub, who died on March 19, 2012, after a long fight with cancer.
Esposito died November 23, 2016, after a year of declining health. His daughter mentioned the cause to be complications of dementia.
- Good Rocking Tonight, by Diamond Joe Esposito, (2016) Simon & Schuster (ISBN 9781501158728)
- Elvis Intimate and Rare, by Diamond Joe Esposito, (1997) Darwin Lamm, Elvis International Forum books(ASIN B0006QR02Y)
- Remember Elvis Produced by Diamond Joe Esposito and Daniel Lombardy, (2006) TCBJOE Publishing (ISBN 0977894525)
- Elvis Straight Up, Produced by Diamond Joe Esposito and Joe Russo of The Soft Parade,(2007)Steamroller Publishing (097971320X)
- Celebrate Elvis - Volume 1, Produced by Diamond Joe Esposito and Daniel Lombardy, (2006) TCBJOE Publishing (ISBN 0977894533)
- Celebrate Elvis - Volume 2, Produced by Diamond Joe Esposito and Daniel Lombardy, (2007) TCBJOE Publishing (ISBN 097789455X)
- It Happened at the World's Fair (1963)
- Kissin' Cousins (1964)
- Viva Las Vegas (1964)
- Clambake (1967)
- Elvis: That's the Way It Is (1970)
- Elvis on Tour (1972)
- This is Elvis (1981)
- Roustabout (1964)
- Kid Galahad (1962)
In popular culture
- He was portrayed by Joe Mantegna in 1979's Elvis: The Movie, alongside Kurt Russell.
- He was also portrayed by Ian Leson in the 2005 CBS mini-series Elvis, alongside Jonathan Rhys Meyers.
- He was spoofed by Chris Farley as the driver for "Tiny Elvis" on Saturday Night Live in 1992 hosted by Nicolas Cage.
- Grimes, William (2016-11-28). "Joe Esposito Dies at 78; Spent 20 Years Assisting Elvis Presley". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-11-29.
- Joe Esposito at the Internet Movie Database
- Interview with Joe Esposito
- TCBJOE - The Official Joe Esposito Elvis Fan Site
|This article about an American writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|