Joe Fenton (artist)
|Born||Jonathan Simon Bramley-Fenton
17 December 1971
Hampstead, London, England
|Education||Wimbledon College of Art|
|Known for||Drawing, illustrating, sculpting|
Jonathan "Joe" Simon Bramley-Fenton (born 17 December 1971 in Hampstead, London) is an English artist, designer, sculptor and illustrator, who works in monochrome using graphite, ink and acrylics on paper. He has worked on a number of feature films as a concept designer and sculptor, including The Brothers Grimm directed by Terry Gilliam and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy directed by Garth Jennings.
Fenton became internationally known through his first large-scale drawing rendered in graphite, acrylics, gouache, and ink, called Solitude. Completed in 2011, the approximately 8 feet wide and 5.5 feet high Solitude took more than ten months to produce.
Fenton also produces and directs short films showing his art process, such as The Lullaby (2011) and Flight (2014).
Fenton's art work is influenced by many of the early surrealists. Embracing the grotesque by his employment of Hieronymus Bosch-like figures that are gangly, writhing and cramped, Fenton also uses motifs that suggest Eastern philosophy and Middle Eastern architecture whilst maintaining a feel for European Baroque and Rococo with complex frame ornamentation and plant-like details. A common theme in all his works which recurs again and again is that of death and the fear of death. The fanciful and even freakish nature of his images seem to spring from the need to distance himself from the fear while at the same time acknowledging it.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Fenton grew up in Bath, London, and Southern Spain and currently resides in London, England with his wife Iji Asfaw-Fenton.
- Hollywood.com, LLC. "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005) | Movies | Hollywood.com". hollywood.com. Retrieved 2014-06-14.
- "Joe Fenton's amazing 5-metre fine artwork that took 10 months to produce | Mail Online". dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-06-14.
- "What's Under the Bed?: Joe Fenton: 9781416949435: Amazon.com: Books". amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-06-14.
- "Boo!: Joe Fenton: 9781416979364: Amazon.com: Books". amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-06-14.
- "Mark Tremonti Shows Off Custom PRS Joe Fenton Guitar – Video | Guitar World". guitarworld.com. Retrieved 2014-06-14.
- "The Lullaby; YouTube". YouTube.com. Retrieved 2011-09-10.
- "Interview with the Artist: Joe Fenton | Flush the Fashion". flushthefashion.com. Retrieved 2014-06-14.