Joe Griffin (psychologist)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Born||17 November 1947|
Templetuohy, Thurles, Tipperary, Ireland
|Occupation||Psychologist, psychotherapist, educator, writer.|
|Education||BSc Hons (Psych), M. Phil. (Psych)|
|Subject||Psychology, psychotherapy, and the origin of creativity, mysticism and mental illness.|
Joe Griffin (born 17 November 1947) is an Irish social psychologist, educator and writer. He is an Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society and holds Graduate and Post Graduate degrees from the London School of Economics. Among other things he is credited with proposing why we evolved to dream and uncovering the connection between dreaming and depression. He lives with his wife Liz in County Kildare, Ireland.
He has made a study of caetextia (context blindness) and the chaos created when individuals or committees impose administrative systems on organisations without appreciating the impact their decisions can have on the smooth running of them and the way events are likely to pan out.
Joe is the co-developer with Ivan Tyrrell of the 'human givens' approach to psychology and behaviour that is proving of tremendous practical benefit to individuals and organisations.
He has many years training experience and over the last two decades, thousands of health professionals have attended his practical workshops and seminars on effective psychotherapy for treating anxiety related disorders, depression, trauma and addiction.
Joe is co-author, with Ivan Tyrrell, of numerous books and publications. These include: Human Givens: A new approach to emotional health and clear thinking, and Why we dream: The definitive answer. His work has been favourably reviewed in the Financial Times, New Scientist and Daily Telegraph.
- The Origin of Dreams (1997) The Therapist Ltd., ISBN 1-899398-40-6
- Hypnosis and Trance States: The first explanation of hypnosis from an evolutionary perspective. (1998) Co-author: Tyrrell, I. Organising Idea Monograph, No.1. European Therapy Studies Institute. ISBN 1-899398-90-2.
- Psychotherapy and the Human Givens. (1998) Co-author: Tyrrell, I. Organising Idea Monograph, No.2. European Therapy Studies Institute. ISBN 1-899398-95-3.
- Breaking the Cycle of Depression: The connection between depression and dreaming and what it means for psychotherapy. (1999) Co-author: Tyrrell, I. Organising Idea Monograph, No.3. European Therapy Studies Institute.
- The APET model: patterns in the brain. (2000) Co-author: Tyrrell, I. Organising Idea Monograph, No.4. European Therapy Studies Institute. ISBN 1-899398-06-6.
- The Shackled Brain: How to release locked in patterns of psychological trauma. (2000) Co-author: Tyrrell, I. Organising Idea Monograph, No.5. European Therapy Studies Institute. ISBN 1-899398-11-2.
- The Human Givens: A new approach to emotional health and clear thinking. (2003) Co-author: Tyrrell, I. HG Publishing, ISBN 1-899398-31-7.
- Dreaming Reality: How dreaming keeps us sane, or can drive us mad. (2004) Co-author: Tyrrell, I. HG Publishing, ISBN 1-899398-36-8.
- How to lift depression...fast. (2004) Co-author: Tyrrell, I. HG Publishing, ISBN 1-899398-41-4.
- Freedom from addiction: The secret behind successful addiction busting. (2005) Co-author: Tyrrell, I. HG Publishing, ISBN 1-899398-46-5
- Godhead, The Brain's Big Bang: The explosive origin of creativity, mysticism and mental illness. (2011) Co-author: Tyrrell, I. HG Publishing, ISBN 978-1-899398-27-0
- Griffin, Joe; Tryrrell, Ivan. "Understand context blindness, Asperger's brain behavious & traits".
- "For example, George Hook's interview with Joe Griffin on Wed 31st Oct 2012 prior to his talk in Trinity College on Emotional Health and Wellbeing".
- "The dreamcatcher – by Barbera Kiser".
- "The dreamcatcher – by Barbera Kiser (Full interview)".
- "Human Givens College Tutor Joe Griffin".
- Griffin, Joseph; Tyrrell, Ivan (2013). Human Givens: The new approach to emotional health and clear thinking. HG Publishing. ISBN 1-899398-31-7.
- Griffin, Joe; Tyrrell, Ivan (2014). Why We Dream : The Definitive Answer. Human Givens Publishing Ltd. ISBN 9781899398423.