Joe Judge (American football)
|New York Giants|
|Born:||December 31, 1981|
|High school:||Lansdale Catholic|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Head coaching record|
|Regular season:||0–2 (.000)|
|Coaching stats at PFR|
Joseph F. Judge (born December 31, 1981) is an American football coach who is the head coach of the New York Giants of the National Football League (NFL). He previously spent eight seasons working as an assistant coach for the New England Patriots. The Patriots won three Super Bowls during Judge's tenure.
Judge was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Lansdale Catholic High School in Lansdale, Pennsylvania. Judge played for Mississippi State from 2000 to 2004, earning three letters. He was also named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll and made the Dean's List.
In 2005, he joined his alma mater, Mississippi State University as a graduate assistant for the Bulldogs. He next served briefly as the linebackers coach for the Birmingham–Southern Panthers in 2008 and then as a special teams assistant for Alabama. In 2012, he joined the New England Patriots as a special teams assistant and served in that role through the 2014 season. Following Super Bowl XLIX, which the Patriots won, Judge was promoted to special teams coordinator following the retirement of Scott O'Brien. On February 5, 2017, Judge was part of the Patriots' coaching staff that won Super Bowl LI. In the game, the Patriots defeated the Atlanta Falcons by a score of 34–28 in overtime.
On February 6, 2018 it was reported that Judge was leaving the Patriots to join the Indianapolis Colts' new head coach Josh McDaniels in Indianapolis; when McDaniels spurned the Colts and chose to stay with the Patriots, Judge made the same decision. After wide receivers coach Chad O'Shea left New England to become offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins, Judge was tapped to fill O'Shea's role while continuing to serve as special teams coordinator; according to ESPN, he was the only coach in the NFL with both special teams and wide receiver duties.
New York Giants
Judge's father, Joseph, played football at Temple and professionally with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League. Judge's wife, Amber, was an All-SEC soccer player at Mississippi State, and they have four children together.
Head coaching record
|Won||Lost||Ties||Win %||Finish||Won||Lost||Win %||Result|
- Justin Heinze (January 7, 2020). "Lansdale Catholic Graduate Joe Judge Named NY Giants Head Coach". patch.com. Retrieved January 7, 2020.
- Howe, Jeff (May 10, 2012). "Patriots Promote Matt Patricia to Defensive Coordinator, Hire Steve Belichick As Coaching Assistant". NESN. Retrieved January 11, 2020.
The Patriots also hired Joe Judge as a special teams assistant. Judge spent the last three years as a football analyst for Nick Saban at Alabama.
- Bator, Mark (June 4, 2012). "Patriots Hire Former Rutgers Long Snapper Stephen Belichick as Assistant Coach". Bleacher Report. Retrieved January 11, 2020.
The hiring was one of several moves recently announced by the Patriots, including the recruitment of former Crimson Tide special teams assistant Joe Judge...
- Dragon, Tyler (February 3, 2015). "New England Patriots special teams coach Scott O'Brien retiring". NFL.com. Retrieved January 11, 2020.
- Heinze, Justin (February 6, 2017). "Lansdale Catholic Graduate, NFL Coach Wins Super Bowl with Patriots". Patch.com. Archived from the original on February 10, 2017. Retrieved January 11, 2020.
- Daniels, Mark (February 6, 2018). "Josh McDaniels leaves Colts at altar and stays with Patriots". providencejournal.com. Archived from the original on January 11, 2020. Retrieved January 11, 2020.
It was also reported that the Pats could also lose special-teams coach Joe Judge to Indy...
- Reiss, Mike (February 9, 2018). "Patriots working to bring back special-teams coach Joe Judge". ESPN.com. Retrieved January 11, 2020.
- Buchmasser, Bernd (February 6, 2018). "Patriots special teams coach Joe Judge expected to stay in New England after Josh McDaniels leaves Colts at the altar". Pats Pulpit. Retrieved January 11, 2020.
- Daniels, Mark (June 5, 2019). "Joe Judge brings a new 'flavor' as the Patriots receiver coach". providencejournal.com. Archived from the original on June 17, 2019. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- Reiss, Mike (July 28, 2019). "Joe Judge, NFL's only special-teams/WR coach, locked in on details". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- Eisen, Michael (January 8, 2020). "Giants hire Joe Judge as head coach". Giants.com. Retrieved January 8, 2020.
- Eisen, Michael (January 7, 2020). "Giants interview Patriots' Joe Judge for head coach position". giants.com. Retrieved January 7, 2020.