Joe Lockhart, White House Press Secretary for Bill Clinton (in office 1998–2000).
|22nd White House Press Secretary|
August 4, 1998–September 29, 2000
|Preceded by||Mike McCurry|
|Succeeded by||Jake Siewert|
July 13, 1959 |
Bronx, New York, USA
|Alma mater||Georgetown University (1982)|
|Occupation||Spokesperson, press secretary, co-founder of The Glover Park Group|
|Known for||White House Press Secretary (October 1998 – September 29, 2000)|
Joseph Lockhart (born July 13, 1959) is a spokesman and communications consultant, best known for being the White House Press Secretary from October 5, 1998 to September 29, 2000, during the administration of U.S. President Bill Clinton. He worked as press secretary for several Democratic politicians, including Walter Mondale, Paul Simon, and Michael Dukakis; he was an advisor to John Kerry during his 2004 presidential campaign. He subsequently founded and became managing director of the communications consulting firm Glover Park Group, a position he held until June 2011, when Facebook recruited him to become its company spokesman. In 2013, he rejoined Glover Park Group.
Early life and career
Lockhart is the son of Raymond Lockhart, a longtime NBC producer associated with the Huntley-Brinkley Report and special-events coverage. He was born in the Bronx, and grew up in Suffern, New York. In 1978 he moved to Washington D.C. to attend Georgetown University where he received a BA in History. In 1980, he worked on Jimmy Carter's presidential reelection campaign.
He was press secretary for the 1984 presidential campaign of Walter Mondale, then worked for Paul Simon in the Senate. Stints with ABC and CNN followed, then the Michael Dukakis campaign. He moved to Robinson, Lake, Lerer & Montgomery with Mike McCurry, then back to ABC when they hired his (former) wife and colleague from the Mondale campaign Laura Logan. Another gig with NBC covering the Romanian Revolution of 1989 preceded his first on-air job with Sky News reporting on the Gulf War and then business. Private practice with Robinson, Lake followed, where he handled publicity for the Al Nahayan family during parts of the BCCI scandal.
Clinton presidential campaign and the White House
At a time when Lockhart was considering working for AOL, Mike McCurry recruited Lockhart back into politics, and he joined the 1996 Clinton re-election campaign. He served as the campaign spokesman and, following President Clinton's successful reelection, as Deputy Press Secretary to McCurry. After standing in for him on occasion to brief the press, Lockhart eventually succeeded McCurry and delivered his first briefing as Press Secretary on October 5, 1998.
Lockhart handled the press during the Clinton impeachment trials.
After the White House
On September 8, 2004, CBS News aired a controversial report on presidential candidate George W. Bush's military record. The authenticity of the Killian documents used in that report are under scrutiny. In the course of the next few days, it was discovered that Joseph Lockhart, then senior advisor to presidential candidate John Kerry, had made a phone call to Texas National Guard officer, Bill Burkett on September 4, 2004. Lockhart stated later that an unnamed female CBS producer asked him to contact Burkett. Lockhart has denied that the call with Burkett had anything to do with the National Guard issue.
- Michelle Quinn (June 15, 2011). "The new face of Facebook: Lockhart". Politico. Retrieved 2011-06-16.
- Joe Lockhart-Founding Partner and Managing Director-The Glover Park Group
- Joe Lockhart's Insider Job washingtonpost
- "William J Clinton Press Briefing by Joe Lockhart". The American Presidency Project. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- Leibovich, Mark (September 17, 2004). "New Strategists Join Kerry Campaign". The Washington Post. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- Johnson, Kevin; Moniz, Dave; Drinkard, Jim (2004-09-20). "CBS arranged for meeting with Lockhart". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- Kasindorf, Martin; Benedetto, Richard (2004-09-21). "Parties lob accusations over suspect papers". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- "The Glover Park Group :: Joe Lockhart". Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- Banks, Don New NFL PR czar Joe Lockhart talks Manning, CTE, Trump and more Sports Illustrated. March 22, 2016
- LASKEY, Margaux (2012-12-29). "When the Timing Is Right". New York Times. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- Sweet, Lynn (2015-05-25). "Obamas' post-White House home: Rental in DC Kalorama neighborhood". Chicago Sun Times. Retrieved 2015-05-25.
- First press briefing by Joe Lockhart
- Last press briefing by Joe Lockhart
- BBC HARDtalk interview, October 6, 2006
- Joe Lockhart at the Internet Movie Database
- Appearances on C-SPAN
|White House Press Secretary
1998 – 2000