Joe Lynch (director)
Lynch in 2014
|Born||Long Island, New York, U.S.|
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Life and career
Though Lynch began his career as a child actor, he soon became obsessed with filmmaking itself. His first two student shorts, mAHARBA and hiBeams, were selected to screen at many film festivals. He was named "Filmmaker of the Year" in 1999 by the Long Island Voice.
Lynch is a lifelong genre film fan (especially horror) and has appeared as a featured guest at several Weekend of Horrors conventions. He has also appeared in several short films, including director Adam Green's 2007 Halloween short "The Tiffany Problem" alongside Joel Moore and Corri English. Lynch worked at G4 as creative director of the website, and appears as a special guest on its popular series Attack of the Show! in a horror-themed segment called "Body Count".
Lynch was one of the four directors who collaborated on the comedy horror anthology Chillerama, which was released by Image Entertainment on November 29, 2011 after a successful festival and "roadshow" theatrical run. Lynch directed the wraparound portions set in a drive-in playing 4 obscure genre films. He also appeared as "Fernando Phagabeefy", director of the 4th film, Deathication.
His next feature-length film was released in 2012. Knights of Badassdom, a "horror/adventure/comedy" film, stars Ryan Kwanten, Steve Zahn, Summer Glau, Danny Pudi, Jimmi Simpson and Peter Dinklage. Lynch disowned the movie after significant interference from the studio.
Lynch also executive produced and was the creative showrunner for G4tv.com's "Epictober Film Festival", producing 3 horror/video game-themed short films by directors Drew Daywalt, Gregg Bishop & Sam Balcomb, which premiered in October 2011.
In addition to his directing career, Lynch is also the co-star on the sitcom Holliston, along with director Adam Green, which premiered on Fearnet on April 3, 2012. Lynch also served as executive producer on the show.
Lynch's next film was the action/thriller Everly, which went into production in the summer of 2013, with Salma Hayek in the title role. The film also starred Jennifer Blanc and Togo Igawa. The screenplay was written by Yale Hannon, based on a story by Lynch and Hannon. The film was produced by Crime Scene Pictures & Anonymous Content. Lynch also directed the Bear McCreary & Raya Yarbrough music video "Silent Night", released as a bonus on Everly's Blu-ray disc.
In 2013, Lynch wrote and directed the short film Truth in Journalism based on the Marvel character Eddie Brock/Venom. This short was also partially influenced by the film Man Bites Dog. The film stars Ryan Kwanten as the titular character. He also executive produced the Czech-Ukrainian horror film Ghoul, which was released in the U.S. in March 2015.
In 2016, Lynch directed the action horror film Mayhem, which was produced by Circle Of Confusion. The film starred Steven Yeun and Samara Weaving. The film had a simultaneous limited theatrical and VOD/digital HD release in the U.S. on November 10, 2017.
- Terror Firmer (1999)
- The Tiffany Problem (2008)
- Thirsty (2008)
- Hatchet II (2009)
- Chillerama (2011)
- Holliston TV series (2012)
- Street Fury (2005)
- My Cousin's Keeper (2007)
- mAHARBA (1996) (Short film)
- hiBeams (1998) (Short film)
- Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007)
- Chillerama (2011)
- Knights of Badassdom (2012)
- Truth in Journalism (2013) (Short film; also writer)
- Everly (2014)
- 12 Deadly Days (2016)
- Mayhem (2017)
- Point Blank (TBA)
- Making Gore Look Good (2007)
- More Blood, More Guts: The Making of 'Wrong Turn 2' (2007)
- On Location with P-Nut (2007)
- His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th (2009)
- Into the Dark: Exploring the Horror Film (2009)
- The Psycho Legacy (2010)
- "Joe Lynch Features 3 More Horror Titles in 'Body Count'". BloodyDisgusting.
- "Featured Content on Myspace". Vids.myspace.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Along with Wrong Turn 2 Director Joe Lynch". DreadCentral.
- "Joe Lynch Talks 'Wrong Turn 3' Possibilities". BloodyDisgusting.
- "BDTV: At the Movies with Joe Lynch and Adam Green". BloodyDisgusting.
- "Adam Green and Joe Lynch Fright Fest UK Promos". BloodyDisgusting.
- "Trailers & Clips - Entertainment Videos, Pics, & Articles". Break.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Sit Down With 'The Knights of Badassdom'". BloodyDisgusting.
- "IMDB Trivia: Knights of Badassdom". IMDB.
- "Transmissions & Confessions from a Mad World: KOB Shot of the Day #38: Picture's UP!". Drjoemommalynch.blogspot.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- . FearNet Greenlights First Original Series Broadcasting & Cable August 8, 2011
- "Salma Hayek Goes Through Hell In These 'Everly' Images! - Bloody Disgusting". bloody-disgusting.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Salma Hayek vs the Yakuza In 'Everly' On Home Video - Bloody Disgusting". bloody-disgusting.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "'Truth in Journalism' Short Teases Spider-Man Villain (Video)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Exclusive: Joe Lynch Talks Everly's Insane Realism, Salma Hayek's Heart, and More! - Dread Central". Dreadcentral.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (March 16, 2016). "'Walking Dead' Actor Steven Yeun to Star in Action Movie 'Mayhem'". Variety. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- Foutch, Haleigh (November 10, 2017). "Joe Lynch on His Action Horror 'Mayhem' and Casting Steven Yeun as His John McClane". Collider. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- Farrow, Kevan (August 8, 2017). "Joe Lynch Unleashes Mayhem in November". Scream. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- "Producer Adi Shankar Talks TRUTH IN JOURNALISM Short, the Success of DIRTY LAUNDRY, Casting Ryan Kwanten, Shared Universes, and More". Collider.com. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 14 November 2017.