Joseph Daniel Mansueto
September 3, 1956
Munster, Indiana, US
|Residence||Lincoln Park, Chicago, Illinois, US|
|Alma mater||University of Chicago (BA) (MBA)|
|Known for||Founder and executive chairman of Morningstar, Inc.|
|Net worth||US$2.6 billion (December 2017)|
Early life and education
Joe Mansueto was born in Munster, Indiana, the son of Mario Mansueto, an Italian doctor. He attended Munster High School and graduated with a bachelor's and master's degrees in Business Administration from the University of Chicago.
Through his company Mansueto Ventures, Mansueto purchased the financial magazines Inc. and Fast Company in June 2005. He was a limited partner in the publication of the entertainment magazine Time Out Chicago from 2005 to 2013.
As of June 2008, Mansueto owned about 60.4% of Morningstar common stock. In 2011, his majority ownership of Morningstar gained him inclusion on the Forbes World's Billionaires list, with a net worth at time of publication of $1.6 billion.
In May, 2008 it was announced that Mansueto and his wife Rika pledged $25 million to the expansion of the main University of Chicago library. The new wing, called the Joe and Rika Mansueto Library, designed by Chicago-based architect Helmut Jahn opened to the public on May 16, 2011.
In 1998 Mansueto married Japanese American Rika Yoshida, a Morningstar analyst. They have three children and live in a newly constructed home in Lincoln Park estimated to cost $22 million to build. Mansueto keeps strict work hours, 8:30 a.m. to 5 or 6 p.m., with an occasional Saturday at the office. Mansueto's younger brother John died in 2003 of West Nile virus.
- "Joseph Mansueto - Forbes". March 9, 2011. Retrieved May 16, 2011.
- Yerak, Becky. "Kapoor to replace billionaire founder Mansueto as Morningstar CEO".
- Matthews, Dave Lee. "Morningstar's Joe Mansueto lists Magnificent Mile condo". Chicago Real Estate Daily. Crain's Chicago Business. Retrieved 25 May 2015.
- "The Quiet Billionaire". Chicago Magazine. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- Janet Kidd Stewart (14 October 2012). "Executive Profile: Joe Mansueto, founder of Morningstar Inc". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Joe Mansueto". Bloomberg Business. Bloomberg LP. Retrieved 25 May 2015.
- "Mansueto to sell Time Out Chicago".
- "Stock Ownership of Joe Mansueto".
- "Morningstar U.S. - News Archive".
- Bannon, Tim (July 11, 2018). "Chicago billionaire Joe Mansueto buys 49 percent stake in Fire". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- "Mansueto answers Buffett's collect call". Chicago Tribune. December 10, 2010.
- "Joe Mansueto on Morningstar, Warren Buffett, the Financial Collapse, and More (posted Dec. 10, 2010)".
- "Status Update: The $22 Million Mansueto Mansion Off Lincoln Park - The Chicago Architecture Blog".