January 13, 1930 |
|April 25, 1956, for the New York Giants|
|Last MLB appearance|
|June 3, 1957, for the New York Giants|
|Earned run average||4.29|
Joseph Emanuel Margoneri (born January 13, 1930) is a former pitcher who played in Major League Baseball in the 1956 and 1957 seasons. Listed at 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m), 185 lb (84 kg), he batted and threw left-handed.
After being discharged from military service, Margoneri pitched for the Navegantes del Magallanes club of the Venezuelan Winter League, and was responsible for the only defeat suffered by the Puerto Rican Cangrejeros de Santurce champion team, 7–2, in the closing game of the 1955 Caribbean Series. Notably, Margoneri hurled a complete game against a powerful lineup that included future Hall of Famers Roberto Clemente and Willie Mays, as well as Harry Chiti, Buster Clarkson, George Crowe, Luis Olmo and Don Zimmer.
Margoneri was 26 years old when he entered the majors in 1956 with the Giants, playing for them two years. His most productive season came in 1956, when he had a 6–6 record with a 3.93 earned run average in a pitching rotation that included Johnny Antonelli (20–13), Rubén Gómez (7–17), Al Worthington (7–14) and Jim Hearn (5–11). The next year he worked almost exclusively as a left-handed specialist out of the bullpen.
In a two-season major league career, Margoneri posted a 7–7 record with a 4.29 ERA in 36 pitching appearances, including 15 starts and three complete games, giving up 60 earned runs on 132 hits and 70 walks while striking out 67 in 126 innings of work.
After baseball, Margoneri worked from 1962 through 1991 in the corrugated paper business as a supervisor for the International Paper Company and the St. Regis Paper Company in the city of Pittsburgh.
Margoneri then retired to West Newton, Pennsylvania where he often receives mail requests to sign his 1957 Topps card. As a result, the Topps Company honored him in their 2006 Topps Heritage set.
- "Joe Margoneri Statistics and History". baseball-reference.com. sports-reference.com. Retrieved June 22, 2016.
- Nuñez, José Antero (1994). Serie del Caribe de la Habana a Puerto La Cruz. JAN Editor. ISBN 980-07-2389-7
- "Joe Margoneri". retrosheet.org. Retrieved June 22, 2016.
- "Former Italian/ American New York Giant: Joe Margoneri (1956-1957)". centerfieldmaz.com. January 12, 2016. Retrieved June 22, 2016.
- "Lot Detail - 1957 Topps #191 Joe Margoneri PSA MINT 9". Retrieved June 22, 2016.
- "2006 Topps Heritage - BaseballCardPedia.com". Retrieved June 22, 2016.