March 14, 1980 |
Bemidji, MN, USA
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||196 lb (89 kg; 14 st 0 lb)|
Columbus Blue Jackets
EC Red Bull Salzburg
Undrafted, Motzko played for St. Cloud State University in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association. After his senior year with St. Cloud, Motzko was signed by the Columbus Blue Jackets on May 15, 2003. Joe was then sent to join affiliate, the Syracuse Crunch of the American Hockey League.
In his fourth season with the Blue Jackets and having played mainly for the Syracuse Crunch, Motzko was traded by the Blue Jackets along with Mark Hartigan to the Anaheim Ducks for Curtis Glencross and Zenon Konopka on January 26, 2007. Ten days earlier, Motzko scored his first career NHL goal at the United Center in Chicago against Nikolai Khabibulin and the Chicago Blackhawks in a 5-4 Blue Jackets victory. Motzko was then assigned to the Portland Pirates before he was called up to the Ducks during the 2007 playoffs. Motzko appeared in 3 post-season games for the Stanley Cup winning Ducks.
On July 9, 2007, Joe was signed by the Washington Capitals. He appeared in 8 games with the Capitals (in his Capitals debut, he had 3 points scoring 2 goals and one assist) before he was traded to the Atlanta Thrashers for Alexandre Giroux on February 26, 2008. Motzko was assigned to Thrasher's affiliate where he won the 2008 Calder Cup Championship with the Chicago Wolves.
On July 16, 2009, Motzko signed with Russian team HC MVD of the Kontinental Hockey League. However, before appearing in a game with MVD, Motzko was released on September 11, and four days later signed with ERC Ingolstadt of the Deutsche Eishockey Liga.
|1999–00||St. Cloud State||WCHA||36||9||15||24||52||—||—||—||—||—|
|2000–01||St. Cloud State||WCHA||41||17||20||37||54||—||—||—||—||—|
|2001–02||St. Cloud State||WCHA||39||9||30||39||34||—||—||—||—||—|
|2002–03||St. Cloud State||WCHA||38||17||25||42||59||—||—||—||—||—|
|2003–04||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||2||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2005–06||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||2||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||7||1||0||1||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||EC Red Bull Salzburg||EBEL||45||11||20||31||34||14||1||7||8||16|
Awards and achievements
- 1997-98 MSHSL Mr. Hockey Semifinalist (Bemidji High School)
- 1999-00 WCHA Rookie of the Week (St. Cloud State)
- 2000-01 WCHA Broadmoor Trophy (St. Cloud State)
- 2006–07 NHL Stanley Cup (Anaheim Ducks)
- 2007–08 AHL Calder Cup (Chicago Wolves)
- 2010 Bemidji High School Athletic Hall of Fame 
- "Ducks acquire Hartigan, Motzko from Columbus". ducks.nhl.com. 2007-01-26. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- "Capitals sign right wing Joe Motzko". capitals.nhl.com. 2007-07-10. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- "Thrashers acquire Joe Motzko from Washington in exchange for Giroux". thrashers.nhl.com. 2008-02-26. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- "Canuck's Cooke to Caps for Pettinger". washingtonpost.com. 2008-02-26. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- "Hurricanes shutout Thrashers 2-0". cbssportsline.com. 2009-01-31. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- "Motzko late inclusion to Ingolstadt". ERC Ingolstadt. 2009-09-16. Retrieved 2009-09-16.
- "Hockey Records Book" (PDF). St. Cloud State. 2010-01-02. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- "Broadmoor Trophy winners". USHCO.com. 2010-01-02. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- "BHS Athletic Hall of Fame grows to 65". www.bemidjipioneer.com. 2010-05-18. Retrieved 2010-05-18.