|Team||UC Santa Barbara|
|Born||April 15, 1977|
|Alma mater||Indiana (1999)|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|2013–2017||Arizona (assoc. HC)|
|2017–present||UC Santa Barbara|
|Head coaching record|
Pasternack served for four years (2007–11) as the head coach of the New Orleans Privateers. The University of Arizona hired Pasternack in 2011, and promoted him to Associate Head Coach of the Wildcats in 2013. In his six seasons with the team, it was 174-47.
Early and personal life
Pasternack was born in Metairie, Louisiana, grew up in New Orleans, Louisiana, and is Jewish. His parents are Joe Jr. and Sarah Pasternack. He attended Sunday school at a Reform synagogue in New Orleans, and became a bar mitzvah.
He and his wife, Lindsay (née Bernstein), have a son Joe IV and a daughter Lilly. His wife served on the board of directors of the Tucson Jewish Community Center. Her brother Roxy Bernstein is a college basketball play-by-play announcer for ESPN.
Pasternack's first professional coaching position was at the University of California, Berkeley, where he served as an assistant coach of the Golden Bears from 2000 until 2007 under head coach Ben Braun.
Pasternack next served for four years (2007–11) as the head coach of the University of New Orleans Privateers basketball team, a position he took in July 2007 after the resignation of Buzz Williams. He became the 11th head coach in UNO history. He earned a record of 54–60 (.474) while there. At the beginning of his second season at UNO, the University determined that Division 1 was not going to be economically feasible after Hurricane Katrina, and the university allowed its players to transfer as it planned to transition out of Division 1. His 2010-11 team went 16-6, topping the standings among Division I Independent institutions. Pasternack remained to fulfill his four-year contract, and then departed for an assistant position at Arizona.
The University of Arizona hired Pasternack, initially for $190,000, on May 19, 2011, after Archie Miller, brother of Arizona Head Coach Sean Miller, left the Wildcats to become head coach at Dayton. In June 2013 Pasternack was promoted to the position of Associate Head Coach. In his final season with the school, he earned $302,000. In his six seasons with the team, it recorded a 174-47 record.
On March 31, 2017, Pasternack, who was 39 years old at the time, was hired as the new Men's Head Basketball Coach for the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos. He became the third head coach of the team in 34 years.
Head coaching record
|New Orleans (Sun Belt Conference) (2007–2010)|
|2007–08||New Orleans||19–13||8–10||4th (West)|
|2008–09||New Orleans||11–19||6–12||T–5th (West)|
|2009–10||New Orleans||8–22||3–15||7th (West)|
|New Orleans (Independent) (2010–2011)|
|2010–11||New Orleans||16–6 (.727)||n/a||n/a|
|New Orleans:||54–60 (.474)||17–37 (.315)|
|UC Santa Barbara (Big West Conference) (2017–present)|
|2017–18||UC Santa Barbara||23–9||11–5||T–2nd|
|2018–19||UC Santa Barbara||22–10||10–6||T–2nd|
|UCSB:||45–19 (.703)||21–11 (.656)|
Postseason invitational champion
- "Joe Pasternack Profile," ArizonaWildcats.com.
- Phyllis Braun (February 9, 2012). "New Orleans native is Wildcats assistant coach," Arizona Jewish Post.
- "Cal basketball coaching rumors: Joe Pasternack finalist for 12 hours," - California Golden Blogs SB Nation.
- "40 Under 40" November 6, 2007, Gambit Weekly.
- "New UA basketball hire brings lesson of adversity; Asst. coach Pasternack led his previous team through Katrina hardships," Arizona Daily Star.
- "Basketball never stops for Pasternack," GOAZCATS.com.
- "Joe Pasternack Profile". The University of Arizona Wildcats Official Athletic Site. Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- "Joe Pasternack (UC Santa Barbara Gauchos)," Coaches Database.
- Katz, Andy (July 9, 2007). "New Orleans names Cal assistant Pasternack coach". ESPN. Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- "University Of New Orleans - Staff Directory; Joe Pasternack."
- "UNO men's basketball coach Joe Pasternack is leaving for Arizona assistant's job," The Times-Picayune.
- "UNO is Louisiana’s lone NCAA participant," The News Star.
- Pascoe, Bruce (May 19, 2011). "Arizona Wildcats basketball: Miller hires Pasternack as assistant coach". Arizona Daily Star. Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- Pascoe, Bruce (July 1, 2013). "Wildcats elevate Pasternack to associate head coach". Arizona Daily Star.
- "UCSB Names Joe Pasternack as New Men's Basketball Head Coach," ucsbgauchos.com.
- "Arizona basketball: Lorenzo Romar to make $400,000 as Sean Miller's top aide," Arizona Daily Star.
- Klan, Mike (March 30, 2017). "UCSB hires Joe Pasternack". keyt.com.
- "Joe Pasternack Aims to Make His Mark at UCSB," Santa Barbara Independent.
- "NCAA Division I Basketball Standings - 2010-11". ESPN.com. Retrieved May 20, 2013.