Joe Quinn (second baseman)
|Second baseman / Manager|
|Born: December 25, 1864|
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia
|Died: November 12, 1940 (aged 75)|
St. Louis, Missouri
|26 April, 1884, for the St. Louis Maroons|
|Last MLB appearance|
|23 July, 1901, for the Washington Senators|
|Runs batted in||794|
Joseph "Joe" James Quinn (December 25, 1864 – November 12, 1940) was an Australian second baseman who played 17 seasons in Major League Baseball. Born in Ipswich, Queensland, to Patrick Quinn and Catherine, née McAfee, both from Ireland, he was the only Australian-born player to reach the major leagues until Craig Shipley in 1986.
Quinn started his career in 1884 with the Union Association's St. Louis Maroons, which won the pennant. He was one of few players from that league to later find success in the National League. Throughout his career, Quinn was known for his defensive skills, and he led NL second basemen in fielding percentage twice.
Quinn also had two stints as a big league manager, with the St. Louis Browns in 1895 and the Cleveland Spiders in 1899. His Browns club went 11–28 under his guidance, and the Spiders were even worse, going 12–104. His career .148 winning percentage is one of the lowest in baseball history.
He was, as a player, arguably the best hitter on the Spiders team that he managed, which is considered to have been the worst team in major league history.
He umpired two games; one each in 1894 and 1896.
In the offseason, Quinn was a mortician, and he owned a funeral home after his playing days ended. He died at age 75 in St. Louis, Missouri.
Quinn was inducted into the Baseball Australia Hall of Fame on 4 May 2013.
- List of Major League Baseball player–managers
- List of St. Louis Cardinals team records
- List of Major League Baseball players from Australia
- Some sources give 1862 as his year of birth.
- "Mary Ellen McGrath Quinn (his wife)". Find a Grave. 8 May 2009.
- "The secret's out: American baseball legend was actually a Campbelltonian" by Jeff McGill, Campbelltown-Macarthur Advertiser, 11 March 2014
- Llewelyn Nicholls, Rochelle (2014). Joe Quinn – Among the Rowdies. McFarland & Company. ISBN 978-0786479801.
- The Editors of Total Baseball (2000). Baseball:The Biographical Encyclopedia. Sports Illustrated. p. 909. ISBN 1-892129-34-5.