|Born||Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin|
|Subject||Las Vegas, Organized crime|
|Notable works||Vegas Rag Doll: A True Story of Terror and Survival as a Mob Hitman's Wife|
Schoenmann graduated from River Valley High School in Spring Green, Wisconsin. He went on to graduate from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Schoenmann began his journalism career as a reporter at the Elroy Tribune-Keystone, a community weekly, taking his first daily newspaper job at the West Bend Daily News before moving to the Capital Times in Madison. In 1997, he worked as a reporter at the Las Vegas Review-Journal. He went on to work as a writer, then as managing editor, for Las Vegas Weekly, and, most recently, as a reporter at the Las Vegas Sun. In 2014, he became the senior producer of Nevada Public Radio's morning program, "KNPR's State of Nevada" at knpr.org .
He was given the Outstanding Journalist award in 2002 and Story of the Year in 1998 by the Nevada Press Association, as well as four other awards in 2002 for his work at Las Vegas Weekly. In 2004, he was the gold medal winner for Profile Writing in the 19th annual City and Regional Magazine Association (CRMA) awards competition for an article about an outcall service operator in Las Vegas Life magazine.In 2013, his story on the Clark County Coroner's Office won "Best Feature" in the Nevada Newspaper Association contest. In 2014, his "Joe Downtown" columns won "Best Local Column" in the Nevada Newspaper Association contest.
The nonfiction book Vegas Rag Doll: A True Story of Terror and Survival as a Mob Hitman's Wife, co-authored by Schoenmann with Wendy Mazaros and released in fall 2011, is an autobiography of Mazaros' marriage to Tom Hanley, 39 years her senior, who was involved in organized crime in Las Vegas. MyNews 3 wrote, in a story about the book, "She is Wendy Mazaros, a woman so connected to the mob and so well known that in the 1970s the newspapers simply referred to her as Wendy."
- DOUG MOE (2010-12-06). "''Wisconsin State Journal'', "Former ''Cap Times'' reporter enjoys his wild ride," December 6, 2010". Host.madison.com. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "KNPR, "Commentaries on KNPR"". Knpr.org. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "''Las Vegas Review-Journal'', "R-J writers win state honors," September 27, 1998". Reviewjournal.com. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "''Las Vegas Review-Journal'', "NPA Winners," September 22, 2002". Reviewjournal.com. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "The Free Library, "Winners of 19th Annual CRMA Awards Announced," June 15, 2004". Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- Las Vegas Weekly, "Joe Schoenmann's 'Vegas Rag Doll'," November 9, 2011
- "Guests, Coast to Coast AM, "Vegas Killers & Crooks," November 27, 2011". Coasttocoastam.com. 2011-11-27. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "MyNews3, "I Married A Mob Hitman - Part 1," February 9, 2011". Mynews3.com. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "''Las Vegas CityLife'', "Mob wife of Las Vegas," January 26, 2012". Archives.lasvegascitylife.com. 2012-01-26. Retrieved 2013-12-05.