20 January 1982
Islington, London, England
|Occupation||Actor and television presenter|
|Partner(s)||Emma Sophocleous (2007–2008)
Kara Tointon (2008–2010) (2015...)Laura Whitmore
|Children||Harry Swash (b. 2007)|
|Family||Shana Swash (sister)|
Swash studied at Highbury Grove School in Islington, and attended Anna Scher Theatre School on the advice of his mother's friend, actress Linda Robson. Swash attended the school with Natalie Cassidy, James Alexandrou and Brooke Kinsella, with whom he later worked in the soap EastEnders.
When Swash was seven, he made his first television appearance in an Andrex advertisement. At the age of eleven he was cast in the movie The Adventures of Pinocchio, as The Fighting boy with Dawn French and Griff Rhys Jones and co-starring Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Richard Claxton and Correy Carrier. His character, known as Fighting Boy because he scuffled with Lampwick over a gun, was turned into a donkey after going on a Roller Coaster. He made minor appearances in several television series such as Casualty, The South Bank Show, The Bill and Nickelodeon's LOL: Laugh Out Loud. In 2002, Joe Swash appeared as a participant in the ITV documentary Club Reps. He also appeared with his sister on the CITV Saturday morning show Ministry of Mayhem.
EastEnders (2003–08, 2011)
Swash was about to give up on the idea of becoming an actor when he won a role in BBC One soap opera EastEnders. He was cast as Mickey Miller and made his first appearance in EastEnders in April 2003 as a recurring character. Owing to a positive viewer reception, producer Louise Berridge turned Mickey into a regular character, and his on-screen family arrived a year later, including Mickey's little sister Demi, played by Swash's real sister, Shana. His son, Harry Swash, also appeared in the soap as his niece Summer Swann for a minimal period. On 26 February 2008, it was announced that Joe Swash, along with the actor who plays his stepfather, David Spinx, were being written out of EastEnders in a "big explosive storyline". He made his final appearance in July 2008. Since the announcement of his departure, Swash has been critical of the direction producers took with his character. He has blamed his three-month screen absence in 2005,due to meningitis, for Mickey becoming little more than "light-relief". However, he has expressed an interest in returning. He later reprised his role of Mickey Miller for two episodes on 19 and 20 September 2011, in order to coincide with his on screen brothers departure from the soap.
I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!
From 2009, Swash has presented spin-off series I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here, NOW! with Caroline Flack and Russell Kane. In 2011, Flack was replaced by Laura Whitmore and Kane in 2012 by comedian Rob Beckett. In 2015, Beckett was replaced by David Morgan.
Other Television appearences
In 2011, Swash presented the children's show Gimme A Break on the CBBC Channel. In 2011, Swash and Caroline Flack worked on ITV2 game show Minute to Win It as team captains. In November 2011 Driving Academy aired on the CBBC Channel, with Swash as presenter/narrator. In 2014, a brand new series was aired with celebrities taking part called Celebrity Driving Academy.
In 2009 and 2010, Swash appeared in the pantomime 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' in Bristol.
Swash's background is a mix of Irish, Scottish and Italian; Swash's great-grandmother, Maria Christina Swash (née Raimo) (1899–1973) was Italian. He grew up in Islington in north London. His father Ricky William Swash (1955–1994), a London taxicab driver, died of a heart attack when Swash was 12, and he and his two younger sisters, Caisie and Shana, were subsequently raised by their mother, Catherine M. "Kiffy" (née O'Connor), who had married Ricky (sometimes mistakenly spelt as Riccie or Richky) in 1978.
Swash has said that he is particularly close to his youngest sister Shana, as he took on a paternal role towards her following their father's death.
Swash was dubbed the "Swashbuckler" by the British press, due to his regular appearances on the London club circuit. He has admitted that he was regularly reprimanded by EastEnders' bosses for his alcohol-fuelled partying. Swash was forced to take a three-month break from EastEnders in 2005 after he contracted meningoencephalitis. Swash has commented, "I couldn't talk. Half my face was numb and I couldn't get the words out. I was constantly sick and couldn't stand." He spent a fortnight in intensive care and doctors told him they were not sure he would live; however, he recovered with no lasting damage. On 16 June 2007, Swash's fiancée, Emma Sophocleous, gave birth to their first child, a boy named Harry Swash. On 19 January 2008, it was announced the couple had separated, and in December 2008, Swash stated that he was in a relationship with his former EastEnders co-star Kara Tointon, who played his onscreen sister Dawn Swann. In May 2010 it was announced that the two had split due to a lot of arguments. On 3 November 2009, Swash was declared bankrupt by London's High Court after failing to pay a £20,000 tax bill. Swash's agent Becca Barr said it was a mix-up and the actor is not in financial difficulty.
Swash was announced as charity Meningitis UK's patron in April 2009. The disease led to his grandmother Betty's death in 1999.
- EastEnders (2003–2008, 2011) – Mickey Miller
- I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! (2008) – Contestant
- Gimme a Break (2008–2011) – Co-presenter
- Hole in the Wall (2009) – Team captain
- I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here NOW! (2009–present) – Co-presenter, with Laura Whitmore and David Morgan
- What Do Kids Know? (2010) – Team captain
- Minute to Win It (2011) – Team captain
- Driving Academy (2011–2014) – Presenter/narrator
- Fake Reaction (2013–2014) – Team captain
- Guest appearances
- The Weakest Link (2006, 2008) – Contestant
- All Star Family Fortunes (8 November 2008) – Contestant
- The Graham Norton Show (December 2008) – Guest
- The Sunday Night Project (11 January 2009) – Guest
- Celebrity Juice (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014) – Panellist
- Total Wipeout (26 December 2009) – Contestant
- The Cube: Celebrity Special (18 December 2010) – Contestant
- Let's Dance for Comic Relief (5 March 2011) – Participant, with Caroline Flack
- The Real Hustle (October 2011) – Guest appearance
- The Magicians (12 February 2012) – Guest
- Mad Mad World (28 July 2012) – Panellist
- Take Me Out: Christmas Special (15 December 2013) – Himself, contestant
- Tipping Point: Lucky Stars (5 July 2014) – Contestant
- Through the Keyhole (6 October 2014) – Guest panellist
- Celebrity Dinner Date (8 October 2014) – Himself, contestant
- Keep It in the Family (30 November 2014) – Guest
- Reality Bites (19 February 2015) – Guest panellist
- Big Star's Little Star (4 March 2015) – Contestant
- Celebrity Benchmark (2015) – 'Benchmarker'
- The Chase: Celebrity Special (24 October 2015) – Contestant
- "See a naughty Joe Swash get thrown out of a hotel, Heat online, retrieved 26 November 2008
- "Joe Swash wants return to EastEnders". This is South Wales. 31 January 2009. Retrieved 16 February 2009.
- "EastEnders Joe Swash becomes father for the first time". Celebrity Baby Blog. 25 June 2007. Retrieved 26 June 2007.
- "Kara Tointon and Joe Swash split". 14 November 2009. Retrieved 14 November 2009.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (4 November 2009). "Joe Swash is declared bankrupt". Digital Spy. Retrieved 4 November 2009.
|I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here!