June 23, 1981 |
|Occupation||Actor, model, martial artist, Singer|
|Spouse(s)||Julia Taslim (m. 2004)|
Johannes "Joe" Taslim (born June 23, 1981) is an Indonesian actor and martial artist of Chinese descent. A member of the Indonesia Judo national team from 1997 to 2009, Taslim is best known for his breakthrough role as "Jaka" in the critically acclaimed The Raid (2011). Later going on to play "Jah" in Fast & Furious 6 (2013), which marked his first role in a film outside Indonesia.
Martial art and sport career
Taslim was born in Palembang, Indonesia, the son of Maria Taslim and Mardjuki Taslim. He was exposed to martial arts at an early age. His martial arts training includes Pencak Silat, Wushu, Judo, Taekwondo and Shotokan. However, he found his passion in Judo and this led to his career as a professional Judo athlete. He won several gold medals in national championships, a gold medal at the 1999 South East Asia Judo championships, and a silver medal at the 2007 ASEAN Games. Taslim was a member of Indonesia Judo national team from 1997 to 2009, when an injury forced him to retire.
Taslim is active as a model and actor, appearing in magazines, TV commercials and several Indonesian feature films. In 2010, Taslim won the role of Jaka, a sergeant in a special police squad, in the award-winning The Raid: Redemption, after a series of impressive fight auditions and reading. Following The Raid, Taslim took part in HBO Asia's first action horror film, Dead Mine, which had a theatrical release in selected Asian territories in September 2012, followed by exclusive television premieres across the HBO Asia network.
Taslim appeared in the feature film Fast & Furious 6 (2013), as the villainous Jah, a cold-blooded killer who uses his martial arts and parkour skills to fight two of the film's protagonists, Roman Pearce (Tyrese Gibson) and Han Seoul-Oh (Sung Kang).
In May 2013, it was reported that Taslim would star in the action thriller film The Night Comes for Us. In September 2014, pre-production on the film was halted and it was reported the script would instead become a graphic novel. In 2016, he played an antagonist character, Manas, a former first officer of Captain Balthazar Edison (played by Idris Elba), Anderson Le, turned to be an alien in Star Trek Beyond.
|2011||The Raid: Redemption||Sgt. Jaka|
|2013||Fast & Furious 6||Jah|
|2016||Star Trek Beyond||Manas|
|2017||Surat Kecil untuk Tuhan||Martin|
|2017||The Night Comes for Us||Ito||Pre-production|
- Deri. "Biography Joe Taslim: Judo Membawanya jadi Komandan Pasukan Khusus" (in Indonesian). 21 Cineplex. Retrieved October 15, 2015.
- M2 Magazine, March 2012 edition (in Indonesian)
- M. Berlian (January 15, 2012). "DA MAN Exclusive Fashion Feature: Joe Taslim of "The Raid"". DA MAN. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "Bio For: Johanes Taslim". CinemaReview.com. Retrieved October 15, 2015.
- "HBO Asia's Dead Mine sports international cast and crew". The Sun Daily. December 31, 2011. Retrieved October 15, 2015.
- Lisa Siregar (2011-12-27). "HBO Asia Film Is ‘Dead’ on Target". Jakarta Globe. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- Leow Si Wan (January 6, 2012). "Dead Mine: Action-horror film is HBO Asia’s first original production". Yahoo. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- Ngantung, Daniel (August 3, 2012). "Film Dead Mine Dirilis Pertengahan September" (in Indonesian). Retrieved October 15, 2015.
- Jeff Sneider (July 7, 2012). "'Raid' actor joins 'Fast and Furious 6'". Variety.com. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "Gareth Evans and XYZ Films Team Up for Bloody Thriller The Night Comes For Us". dreadcentral.com. May 17, 2013. Retrieved October 15, 2015.
- "Yayan Ruhian Sports A Ghastly Image On The Set Of COMIC 8: CASINO KINGS". Film Combat Syndicate.