Joe Williams (running back, born 1993)
|Born:||September 4, 1993|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||205 lb (93 kg)|
|NFL Draft:||2017 / Round: 4 / Pick: 121|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Joseph Sterling Williams (born September 4, 1993) is an American football running back who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Utah. He was drafted in the fourth round, 121st overall, by the San Francisco 49ers in the 2017 NFL Draft.
High school career
After being at Utah for a year, Williams retired from playing football to focus on other aspects of his life. He would quickly return on October 22, 2016, where he set the school record for rushing yards in a single game with 332 against UCLA. In the 2016 Foster Farms Bowl against Indiana, Williams took home the Offensive MVP after finishing with 222 rush yards, 1 rushing TD, and 56 receiving yards. In 2016, Williams rushed for 1,407 yards and ten rushing touchdowns in just nine games.
Williams was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the fourth round, 121st overall, in the 2017 NFL Draft. He was the 11th running back selected in that year's draft. He was placed on injured reserve on September 2, 2017 with an ankle injury.
On August 31, 2018, Williams was waived by the 49ers.
- "Joe Williams unusual return from retirement to save Utah's playoff hopes," CBS Sports, October 27, 2016, retrieved May 11, 2017.
- Joe Williams biography, University of Utah football, retrieved May 11, 2017
- Joe Williams, recently unretired, runs for 332 yards in Utah win
- Williams leads Utah past Indiana 26-24 in Foster Farms Bowl
- Fann, Joe (April 29, 2017). "San Francisco 49ers Draft Utah RB Joe Williams". 49ers.com. Retrieved May 7, 2017.
- "2017 NFL Draft Listing". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved February 10, 2018.
- "Draft Finder Query Results". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved February 10, 2018.
- "49ers Cut Roster Down to 53 Players". 49ers.com. September 2, 2017.
- "49ers Trade for OL Shon Coleman, Cut 12 Players". 49ers.com. August 31, 2018.