Joe Zee (born November 23, 1968) is a Hong Kong-born Canadian fashion stylist, journalist, and producer, known for Entertainment Tonight (1981), FABLife (2015) and Celebrity Style Story (2012). Zee served as creative director of Elle for seven years. He became editor-in-chief and executive creative officer of Yahoo! Style in April 2014. He resigned from Yahoo in June 2017.
Zee was born in Hong Kong and at the age of one, moved to Toronto where he grew up. He began working in fashion in 1990, at age 22, and ultimately moved to New York City enrolling at the Fashion Institute of Technology.
In the mid-1990s, Zee met stylist Lori Goldstein at an Allure party, and soon became her assistant. According to Zee, "I said [to Goldstein], 'I have to work for you. I'm your biggest fan. I'm obsessed with your work. I love the last story you did'—it was for Italian Glamour, with the girls in the bathing suits and knit hats with the blow-up pool. It must've been '91 or '92. That shoot was iconic for me".[This quote needs a citation]
He was described in a New York Times profile as a leader in the mass market and digital transformation of fashion: "a chatty and approachable ambassador of fashion who has aggressively thrust himself in front of hoi polloi using Twitter, blogs, v-logs and—most visibly—television."
Zee was a recurring character as boss of the reality series The City. He has also appeared on episodes of Ugly Betty, Mistresses, and General Hospital as himself. He was one of the co-hosts of the ABC daytime talk show The Fab Life.
In 2015, he released his book That's What Fashion Is: Lessons and Stories from My Nonstop, Mostly Glamorous Life in Style.
- "The Daily Celebrates Joe Zee's Birthday". Archived from the original on 2012-03-17.
- Clehane, Diane. "So What Do You Do, Joe Zee, Creative Director, Elle?". MediaBistro. MediaBistro Inc. Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- Duggan, Leeann. "Joe Zee Leaves Elle For Yahoo". Refinery 29. Refinery 29. Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- Steigrad, Alexandra (April 14, 2014). "Joe Zee Exiting Hearst to Join Yahoo". Women's Wear Daily. Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- Bobila, Maria. "Joe Zee Is Out at Yahoo Style". Fashionista. Retrieved 2019-01-10.
- Rubin, Nadine (9 September 2008). "The Celeb Whisperer". New York Post. Archived from the original on 5 September 2012.
- "Career Timeline: Lori Goldstein". School of Style Blog.
- Williams, Alex (16 March 2011). "Fashion's Ambassador: Joe Zee". The New York Times.
- Feiereisen, Sharon (2011-03-29). "Joe Zee is Back with New Reality TV Show". The Fashion Spot. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Joe Zee BoF 500 the People Shaping the Global Fashion Industry". business of fashion.
- Zee, Joe (2015). That's What Fashion Is: Lessons and Stories From My Nonstop, Mostly Glamorous Life in Style (First ed.). New York: Thomas Dunne Books. ISBN 9781250042941. OCLC 910073110.
- "Joe Zee and Rob Younkers Are Engaged!". People. December 4, 2015. Retrieved February 17, 2016.