Joe van Niekerk
|Birth name||Johann van Niekerk|
|Date of birth||14 May 1980|
|Place of birth||Port Elizabeth, South Africa|
|Height||1.93 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|Weight||108 kg (238 lb)|
|Rugby union career|
Johann "Joe" van Niekerk (born 14 May 1980 in Port Elizabeth) is a South African rugby union player, who generally plays either as a flanker or number 8. He currently plays for Toulon in the Top 14.Joe van Niekerk one of the greatest captains of the roads of Toulon as a warrior.
After starring for the South Africa Schools, under-19, and under-21 sides, and captaining at all three levels, Van Niekerk received the rare honour of being called up to the Springboks directly from the U21 side in 2001, in spite of never having played a game in either the Currie Cup or Super 12. He made his debut against the All Blacks in Cape Town.
Van Niekerk has experienced injury troubles throughout his senior-level career. When healthy, however, he is considered able to compete with virtually any back-row player in the world. He scored important tries for the Boks in home wins over the Wallabies in the 2002 Tri Nations Series and the 2004 Tri Nations Series. He has often been used as an "impact player" off the bench, especially in the 2005 Tri Nations Series.
In 2002, he was voted the South African "Player of the Year". In the first match of the 2008 Tri Nations Series against the All Blacks in Wellington, he was a surprise choice to start at No. 8. He was expected to play for the Northampton Saints however his contract was terminated before he arrived, reportedly because of constant injury problems. At the moment he plays for RC Toulon, a club in France. In May 2013 he played as a replacement as Toulon won the 2013 Heineken Cup Final by 16–15 against Clermont Auvergne.
- South African Schools 1997–1998
- South Africa Under-19 1998
- South Africa Under-21 2000/2001
- South African Sevens 2001
- Gauteng Lions U21 1998–2001
- Gauteng Lions 2001–2003
- Lions Super 12 Team 2002–2003
- Stormers Super Rugby Team 2004–2007
- Western Province 2004–2007
- Springboks 2001–2012
- Northampton Saints (contract was terminated before arrival)
- Toulon (France) 2008 – present
- SA Sports Illustrated. "Showdown at ... Quiz Creek: AJ Venter vs Stefan Terblanche." October 2008: 32.
- "Showdown at ... Quiz Creek" 2008, p. 32.
- "Toulon claim Heineken Cup glory". ESPN. 18 March 2013. Retrieved 20 May 2013.