February 6, 1958 |
|Listed height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|College||Mapua Institute of Technology|
|1982–1985||Great Taste Coffee Makers|
|1987–1997||Mapua Cardinals (NCAA)|
|2002–2003||Ateneo Blue Eagles (UAAP)|
|2003–2005||Talk 'N Text Phone Pals|
|Career highlights and awards|
As head coach:
Joel Banal (born February 6, 1958) is a retired Filipino professional basketball player, and former head coach in the Philippine Basketball Association. At present, he is the commissioner of the Pilipinas Commercial Basketball League (PCBL).
Banal played college ball for the Mapúa Institute of Technology, before venturing into professional basketball with the Great Taste Coffee Makers in the PBA from 1982–1985 where he got an injury. After his semi-retirement from the PBA, he worked as a circulation director of The Philippine Star
He was previously the head coach of the collegiate teams Mapua Cardinals in the NCAA, Ateneo Blue Eagles in the UAAP (won the 2002 UAAP title), the Casino Rubbing Alcohol and Hapee Nenaco in the PBL, and the Talk 'N Text Phone Pals in the PBA, where he won championships in all of the four leagues. He is also the assistant coach of the Pasig Pirates in the Metropolitan Basketball Association.
Shortly after his resignation, Banal focused on his family-owned school business, Domuschola International School where he was the president until 2015.
In 2016, Banal returned to basketball after he appointed as the league commissioner of Pilipinas Commercial Basketball League starting this 2016 Chairman's Cup. He will take over the position from Ato Badolato.
Banal is the elder brother of current Phoenix Fuel Masters head coach Koy Banal. His younger brother, Conrad served as the business writer for newspapers Philippine Daily Inquirer and The Philippine Star and once a player for the Ateneo men's basketball team.
- Joble, Rey (February 28, 2016). "Banal as PCBL commissioner". BusinessWorld. Retrieved March 1, 2016.
- "Joel Banal: He got game". The Philippine Star. June 8, 2002. Retrieved March 11, 2016.
- Estabillo, Matthew (July 27, 2003). "COACH JOEL BANAL: coachingbyfaith". The Philippine Star. Retrieved March 11, 2016.
- Joble, Rey. "Joel Banal in contact with Tim Cone, willing to join San Mig Coffee as assistant coach". www.interaksyon.com. Sports5. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- Tordecilla, Jaemark. "Tim Cone, Alaska part ways". www.interaksyon.com. Sports5. Retrieved 1 September 2011.
- Ramos, Gerry (March 4, 2016). "Joel Banal returns to basketball as PCBL commissioner, leaves door open for coaching comeback". Spin.ph. Retrieved March 11, 2016.
- "Banal cousins hope to live up to family legacy with PBA Draft dreams". InterAksyon.com.
|Mapua Cardinals men's basketball head coach
|Ateneo Blue Eagles men's basketball head coach
|Talk 'N Text Phone Pals head coach
|Alaska Aces Head Coach
|Pilipinas Commercial Basketball League commissioner
|This biographical article relating to a Filipino basketball figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|