Joel Barlow High School
|Joel Barlow High School|
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Region 9 Public Schools|
|Principal||Dr. Gina Pin|
|Asst. principals||Jennifer C. Desmarais|
Julie A. McTague
|Enrollment||1,008 (as of 2015-16)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.1:1|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
Joel Barlow High School is a public high school serving students in ninth through twelfth grades in Redding, Fairfield County, Connecticut, United States. The school serves Easton and Redding students.
The school is the sole institution in the Region 9 School District of Connecticut, made up of the towns of Redding and Easton, which each have their own public school systems for education up to the eighth grade. The Board of Education acts as its own Board of Finance, and although it reports to the boards of finance in both towns, they have no control over the school budget. Each year a referendum is held on the school budget and must be passed by a majority of voters in the two towns.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,008 students and 71.4 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 14.1:1. There were 33 students (3.3% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 12 (1.2% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
For the purpose of comparison with the achievement levels of similar schools, the state Department of Education classifies schools and communities in "District Reference Groups", defined as "districts whose students' families are similar in education, income, occupation and need, and that have roughly similar enrollment". Its total minority enrollment is 13%, 6% of which are Hispanic. Joel Barlow High School (Region 9) is one of eight school districts in District Reference Group A (others are Darien, Easton, New Canaan, Redding, Ridgefield, Westport, and Wilton). It is ranked #16 within the state of Connecticut and #592 in National Rankings of Public High Schools.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Dr. Gina Pin, Region 9 Assistant Superintendent and Head of School:
- Jennifer C. Desmarais, Assistant Principal
- Julie A. McTague, Assistant Principal
- Pearl Aday (born 1975, class of 1993), singer who has toured as a backing singer in her step-father Meat Loaf's touring band, Neverland Express.
- Adam D'Angelo (born 1984), co-founder of Quora; did not graduate from JBHS - graduated from Exeter
- Perry DeAngelis (1963-2007), co-founder and executive director of NESS, co-founder of The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe
- Brooklee Han (born 1995), figure skater who represented Australia at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- Charlie Morton (born 1983), 2017 World Series champion and MLB pitcher for the Atlanta Braves, Pittsburgh Pirates, Philadelphia Phillies and Houston Astros.
- School data for Hillsborough High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- Caldwell, Maggie, "Region 9 budget: Redding sees 6.66% increase / Capital items will be dealt with separately", The Redding Pilot, March 22, 2007, accessed March 28, 2007
- Administration, Joel Barlow High School. Accessed October 17, 2018.
- Gargan, Scott. "Meat Loaf's daughter Pearl Aday plays Stamford Meat Loaf's daughter back in area with her own band, pearl", Connecticut Post, April 27, 2010. Accessed October 17, 2018. "A graduate of Long Ridge Elementary School in Stamford, Pearl sang in her living room with friends in mock girl groups. Later, as a student at Joel Barlow High School in Redding, she joined the school choir and performed in musicals."
- DiPaola, Peter. "Brooklee Han: Barlow alumna to skate for Australian team during the 2014 Winter Olympics", Easton Courier, February 2, 2014. Accessed October 17, 2018. "Brooklee Han, 18, Joel Barlow High School alumna and Redding resident, will have her dream of competing for the Australian Women’s Ice Skating team in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, fulfilled."
- Pence, Owen. "With Charlie Morton on the mound, hitters just don’t know what’s coming", Boston Globe, October 16, 2018. Accessed October 17, 2018. "Only five names are listed under the 'Notable alumni' section on the Wikipedia page for Joel Barlow High School in Redding, Conn. Top billing is reserved for Charlie Morton, the only MLB player to attend the school and the Houston Astros’ starter Wednesday for Game 4 of the ALCS."