|Joel Francis Bowden|
Bowden in May 2009
|Full name||Joel Bowden|
|Date of birth||21 June 1978|
|Place of birth||Mildura, Victoria|
|Original team(s)||West Alice Springs (CAFL)|
|Draft||Father-Son Selection, 1995
|Height||188 cm (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||90 kg (198 lb)|
|Position(s)||Half Back Flank/Half Forward Flank|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2009.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Since his debut in 1996, he has carved a reputation as one of the Tigers' favourite sons. He was drafted at the end of 1995 under a father-son selection, and is the son of former Richmond 1969 premiership player Michael Bowden. Bowden plays as a Backman but can also be a play as a key Forward
In 2006, Bowden was among the leading possession getters in the AFL, and had the most possessions shared between any two players with his brother Patrick. He played his 200th AFL game in Round 8 against Adelaide, gathering 34 possessions as the Tigers upset the then-ladder-leading Crows by three points just a week after suffering a 118-point loss to the Sydney Swans.
In Round 16, 2008, Bowden was at the centre of a major controversy regarding rushed behinds. With Richmond up by 6 points against Essendon with less than a minute left, Bowden proceeded to wipe the remaining time off the clock by rushing 2 behinds from the kick out - tactics which caused an uproar with many calling for the current rules to be changed. Football journalist Mike Sheahan even likened it to the infamous Trevor Chappell underarm delivery. He played his last game against the Collingwood Football Club, who thrashed the Tigers by 93 points.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
Achievements & Honours
- Richmond Best and Fairest 2004, 2005
- All-Australian 2005, 2006
- International Rules 2004
- 100 Tiger Treasures "Goal of the Century" Nominee (2008)
- Holmesby, Russell; Main, Jim (2002). The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers: every AFL/VFL player since 1897 (4th ed.). Melbourne, Victoria: Crown Content. p. 56. ISBN 1-74095-001-1.
- Phelan, Jason (20 May 2006). "Crows come up short". Adelaide Football Club official website. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- The Rushed Behind Debate
- Joel Bowden's player profile at AFL Tables
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joel Bowden.|
- Joel Bowden's profile on the official website of the Richmond Football Club
- Joel Bowden's statistics from AFL Tables
|This Australian rules football biography of a person born in the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|