Joel J. Kupperman
Joel J. Kupperman (born May 18, 1936) is a professor of philosophy at the University of Connecticut and author of Six Myths about the Good Life, a popular philosophical volume centering on those values most worth engaging in human life. He is best known to the general public as a young math expert on the radio and television show Quiz Kids. He astounded audiences with his ability to do complex mathematics rapidly and seemingly "in his head." He also had strong general knowledge, and was often the winner of the weekly competitions featured on the show. The 1944 film Chip Off the Old Block , starring Donald O'Connor, Peggy Ryan and Ann Blyth, featured Kupperman as the "Quiz Kid", representative of the group.
During his initial Quiz Kids shows, Kupperman, who was then 7, lisped, which emphasized his youth and endeared him to the listening audience. In one episode of Quiz Kids, Joel showed his ability to multiply any number times 99 "in his head." When asked how he was able to do this he replied "It's a theequit twick." When asked what the "secret trick" was, he explained that he merely multiplied the number he was given by one hundred, then subtracted the original number from that total to get the correct answer.
He received his bachelor's and master's degrees at the University of Chicago, and his doctorate at Cambridge. He started teaching at the University of Connecticut in 1960 and was made a full professor in 1972.
He is married to noted historian/author Karen Ordahl Kupperman, who teaches at New York University. The couple have two children: Michael Joel Kupperman, a noted illustrator; and Charlie Anders Kupperman, a medical journalist and editor for Eli Healthcare.
- Kupperman, Joel J. Six Myths about the Good Life: Thinking about what has Value. Indianapolis: Hackett, 2006
- "Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Google News Archive Search". news.google.com. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "Joel J. Kupperman Curriculum Vitae" (PDF).
- [dead link]
- Scanlon, Jennifer; Cosner, Shaaron (19 November 1996). "American Women Historians, 1700s-1990s: A Biographical Dictionary". Greenwood Publishing Group. Retrieved 19 November 2018 – via Google Books.
- "Medical Coding & Billing Newsletters - Compliance & Reimbursement Alert". TheCodingInstitute. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- All The Answers. 2018-05-15. ISBN 9781501166433.
|This biography of an American philosopher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|