Joel M. Carson III
|Joel M. Carson III|
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit|
|Assumed office |
May 17, 2018
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||Paul Joseph Kelly Jr.|
|Magistrate Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Mexico|
August 14, 2015 – May 17, 2018
|Born||Joel McElroy Carson III|
November 16, 1971
Artesia, New Mexico, U.S.
|Residence||Roswell, New Mexico|
|Education||Texas Tech University (BBA)|
University of New Mexico School of Law (JD)
Joel McElroy Carson III (born November 16, 1971) is a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
At the start of his legal career Carson served as a law clerk to Judge Bobby Ray Baldock of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. He then went on to be a partner at the Roswell-based law firm of Hinkle, Hensley, Shanor & Martin, LLP, where he practiced for nine years. He served for five years as General Counsel of Mack Energy Corporation. He started his own firm in 2014, where he practiced until becoming a circuit judge.
Carson served on New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez's energy and environment transition teams following her election in 2010. He is a member of the New Mexico Judicial Performance Evaluation Commission.
Federal judicial service
Magistrate judge tenure
Carson served as a part-time United States Magistrate Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Mexico from 2015 to 2018.
Court of Appeals service
On December 20, 2017, President Trump nominated Carson to serve as a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, to the seat that was vacated by Judge Paul Joseph Kelly Jr., who assumed senior status on December 31, 2017. On February 14, 2018, a hearing on his nomination was held before the Senate Judiciary Committee. On March 15, 2018, his nomination was reported out of committee by a 15–6 vote. On May 11, 2018, the Senate agreed to invoke cloture on the nomination by a vote of 71–24. On May 15, 2018, his nomination was confirmed by a vote of 77–21. He received his commission on May 17, 2018.
- MyLife.com profile
- "PN1330 — Joel M. Carson III — The Judiciary". Congress.gov. Library of Congress. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Ninth Wave of Judicial Nominees and Tenth Wave of United States Attorney Nominees" White House, December 20, 2017 This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "Carson III nominated by president for U.S. Court of Appeals". Artesia Daily Press. December 21, 2017. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- "Eight Nominations Sent to the Senate Today" White House, December 20, 2017
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for February 14, 2018
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – March 15, 2018, Senate Judiciary Committee
- U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 115th Congress – 2nd Session United States Senate Vote Summary: Vote Number 91, United States Senate, May 10, 2018
- "On the Nomination (Confirmation Joel M. Carson III, of New Mexico, to be U.S. Circuit Judge for the Tenth Circuit)". United States Senate. May 15, 2018. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- Joel M. Carson III at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Joel M. Carson III at Ballotpedia
- Biography at Carson Ryan LLC
Paul Joseph Kelly Jr.
| Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
|This American law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|