|Joel R. Matheson|
|Member of the Legislative Assembly of Nova Scotia|
|Preceded by||riding created|
|Succeeded by||Gerry Fogarty|
|Constituency||Halifax Bedford Basin|
February 18, 1930 |
Halifax, Nova Scotia
|Political party||Progressive Conservative|
|Residence||Bedford, Nova Scotia|
Joel Rand Matheson (born February 18, 1930) is a former lawyer, business owner and political figure in Nova Scotia. He represented Halifax Bedford Basin in the Nova Scotia House of Assembly from 1978 to 1993 as a Progressive Conservative.
Early life and education
He was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the son of Rand Matheson, and was educated in Moncton, New Brunswick, at St. Francis Xavier University and finally graduating with an LL.B. from Dalhousie University in 1954.
Matheson served in the provincial cabinet as Minister of Finance, Minister of Mines and Energy, Minister of Health and Attorney General. He was defeated by Gerry Fogarty when he ran for reelection in 1993. Also in 1993, Matheson ran unsuccessfully in the federal riding of Halifax West as a Progressive Conservative, losing to Geoff Regan.
In 2009, he was named chairman of the board of directors for Canasur Gold.
In 1953, he married Ruth MacRobert.
- Normandin, P G (1987). Canadian Parliamentary Guide, 1987.
- "Hansard". December 4, 1996. Retrieved 2011-12-30.
- "Liberal sweep claims cabinet ministers". The Chronicle Herald. May 26, 1993. Archived from the original on August 30, 2000. Retrieved 2014-09-29.
- "Halifax Clayton Park". Nova Scotia Votes 2006. CBC. Retrieved 2011-12-30.
- "Atlantic region hands Liberals near-clean sweep". The Chronicle Herald. October 26, 1993. Archived from the original on November 21, 2001. Retrieved 2014-09-29.
- "Halifax West, Nova Scotia (1976 - )". History of Federal Ridings since 1867. Library of Parliament. Retrieved 2011-12-30.
- "Joel Matheson QC Joins Canasur Gold Board As Chairman". Canasur Gold. Retrieved 2011-12-30.
|This article about a Progressive Conservative party Member of the Nova Scotia House of Assembly is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|