Obi with Inter in 2009
|Full name||Joel Chukwuma Obi|
|Date of birth||22 May 1991|
|Place of birth||Lagos, Nigeria|
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
|2013–2014||→ Parma (loan)||8||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 2 July 2015.
In 2008, with the youth team, he won the title of Italian champion with the "Allievi Nazionali", with Daniele Bernazzani as coach.
In 2009, he had been noticed by José Mourinho and led occasionally to the first-team of Inter. In 2010, even if without playing, he is in the List of players of Inter who won the Champions League in final against Bayern Munich. His agent is Idroo Badoo.
In the summer 2010, Rafael Benítez definitively move him with the first-team of Inter. Obi made his debut for Inter on 29 September 2010 in a UEFA Champions League group stage game against Werder Bremen. He played the final 10 minutes of the match after coming on as a substitute in the 80th minute for fellow midfielder Dejan Stanković. Inter went on to defeat Werder Bremen in a 4–0 shutout.
Obi started the "Milan Derby" at Beijing for the Supercoppa Italiana on 14 November but had to be substituted after only 35 minutes because of injury, he was replaced by Coutinho. In January 2011, half of him was sold to Parma for €750, along with Nwankwo Obiora for €300,000. However, Obi had stayed to play in Inter for the rest of the season. In January 2012, Inter acquired back the half of Obi from Parma for €3.2 million (€1.7 million cash plus Lorenzo Crisetig), Obi scored his first Serie A goal on 29 April 2012 against Cesena. The 2011–2012 season his a really good season for Obi, who collects 27 presences in Serie A, 2 in Coppa Italia and 7 in Champions League, other than the one in the final of Supercoppa Italiana. However, his season was cut short by a bad injury that forced him to a long period of rest.
Obi came back in the next season, 2012–2013, on 4 October, in the victory for 1–3 against the Neftchi Baku in Europa League scoring the goal of 0–2, which happens to be the 500th goal in UEFA competitions for Inter. That is the first goal of Obi in the first-team.
On 23 November 2014, Obi started the match and scored against Milan, an equalizer in a 1–1 draw at San Siro, becoming the first Nigerian player to score in Derby della Madonnina since Obafemi Martins, who scored on 11 December 2005. This was Roberto Mancini's first match in his second spell at Inter.
Obi made his international debut for Nigeria on 9 February 2011 in a friendly game with Sierra Leone in Lagos. He started the next 11 games in a row for the Eagles before getting injured near the end of 2012. He was named in the preliminary squad for the 2014 World Cup.
- As of 24 November 2014
|Nigeria national team|
- "Joel Chukwuma Obi – Profile". UEFA.
- "Eto'o hat-trick eases Inter past Bremen". UEFA.com. 29 September 2010. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "2010 Serie A, Round 7". Fox Soccer.
- Parma FC SpA Report and Accounts on 30 June 2012 (Italian)
- "La baby Inter convince a Baku". Uefa.com. Retrieved 4 October 2012.
- "Il tacco di Coutinho". La Gazzetta dello Sport.
- "Joel Obi moves to Parma". FC Internazionale Milano. 2 September 2013. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "Joel Obi's strike earns Inter derby point over rival AC Milan". Fox Sports. 23 November 2014. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- "Internazionale vs. Milan 3–2". Soccerway. 11 December 2005. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- Homewood, Brian; Meadows, Mark (24 November 2014). "Milan derby ends all square on Mancini's Inter return". Yahoo Sport. Reuters. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- Okeleji, Oluwashina (3 June 2014). "World Cup 2014: Nosa Igiebor cut from Nigeria squad". BBC Sport. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- "Joel obi Inter Profile".
- Joel Obi profile at Soccerway
- Joel Obi at National-Football-Teams.com