Joel S. Migdal
Joel S. Migdal
|Born||April 1, 1945|
Roosevelt, New Jersey
|Children||Ariela Migdal |
|Alma mater||Harvard University |
|Profession||University Professor |
Previously he served as an associate professor of Government at Harvard University (1975–80) and a lecturer and senior lecturer at Tel-Aviv University (1972–75). He came to the University of Washington in 1982 and was named the Robert F. Philip Professor of International Studies in 1994.
- Member editorial board, Comparative Political Economy Book Series, School of Government at Peking University, China
- President, Association for Israel Studies, 2003–2005
- Vice-president, Association for Israel Studies, 2001–2003
- Editor, Studies on Israel series of the University of Wisconsin Press
- Member, Visiting Committee, Harvard University Center for Middle Eastern Studies
- Chair, Visiting Committee, Harvard Academy of International and Area Studies
- Member, Editorial Board, Israel Studies Forum: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 2001–present.
- Member, Editorial Board, World Politics, 1996–present.
- Member, Editorial Board, Comparative Political Studies, 1992–present.
- Member, American Political Science Association.
- Member of the International Joint Committee for the Near and Middle East, Social Science Research Council, 1988-1996. Chair of Committee, 1991–92, 1992–93, 1993-96.
Awards and honors
- Fellowship, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, NJ, 2009–2010
- Provost Distinguished Lecturer, University of Washington, 2008
- Marsha L. Landolt Distinguished Mentor Award, University of Washington, 2006
- Lady Davis Fellow, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2002–2003
- Governor's Writers Award, 1994, for Palestinians: The Making of a People
- Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Washington, 1993
- Student Service Award, Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies, University of Washington, 1992 (awarded in recognition of outstanding service to students in the International Studies Program)
- Yavor Prize for the best work on developing countries, 1986, awarded by the David Horowitz Institute for the Research of Developing Countries for Strong Societies and Weak States: State Society Relations and State Capabilities in the Third World.
- Principal Investigator for three major federal grants (Department of Education, Washington,D.C.) totalling well over $1 million
- World Society Fellowship (1989–90)
- Fulbright Research Fellowship (declined)
- Fulbright-Hayes Research Fellowship (1985–86)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Harvard University Graduate Prize Fellowship
- Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship
- "Shifting Sands: The United States in the Middle East", (New York: Columbia University Press, forthcoming fall 2013)
- "Boundaries and Belonging: States and Societies in the Struggle to Shape Identities and Local Practices", (editor) (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2004).
- "The Palestinian People: A History", (with Baruch Kimmerling) (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2003).
- "Through the Lens of Israel: Explorations in State and Society", (Albany: State University of New York Press, 2001).
- "State-in-Society: Studying How States and Societies Transform and Constitute One Another": (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2001).
- Joel S. Migdal, Atul Kohli, Vivienne Shue, eds., State Power and Social Forces: Domination and Transformation in the Third World (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1994).
- Joel S. Migdal, "Palestinians: The Making of a People": (with Baruch Kimmerling ) (New York: The Free Press, 1993). Paperback edition, Harvard University Press, 1994. Italian edition (I palesti¬nesi: la genesi di un popolo), La Nuova Italia, 1994—second Italian edition, 2003; Hebrew edition, Keter, 1999. Serialized by Al-Ithihad (Israeli newspaper in Arabic), Jan.-March 2000. Arabic edition, The Palestinian Forum for Israeli Studies (Madar), 2001.
- Ellis Goldberg, Resat Kasaba, and Joel S. Migdal, eds., "Rules and Rights in the Middle East: Democracy, Law and Society", (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1993).
- "Strong Societies and Weak States: State-Society Relations and State Capabilities in the Third World", (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1988).
- Joel S. Migdal, et al., "Palestinian Society and Politics", (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1980).
- John D. Montgomery, Harold D. Lasswell, and Joel S. Migdal, eds., "Patterns of Policy: Com-parative and Longitudinal Studies of Population Events" (New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Books, 1979).
- "Peasants, Politics, and Revolution: Pressures Towards Political and Social Change in the Third World" (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1974) Chinese edition, 1996.