|Occupation||Photographer, Public Speaker, Author, Teacher|
Joel Sartore (born June 16, 1962, Ponca City, Oklahoma) is an American photographer, speaker, author, teacher, and a 20-year contributor to National Geographic magazine. Sartore grew up in Ralston, Nebraska and graduated from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln with a degree in journalism. His interest in nature started in childhood, when he learned about the very last passenger pigeon from one of his mother's Time-Life picture books. He has since been chased by a wide variety of species including wolves, grizzlies, musk oxen, lions, elephants and polar bears. His first National Geographic assignments introduced him to nature photography, and also allowed him to see human impact on the environment first-hand.
In addition to the work he has done for National Geographic, Joel has contributed to Audubon Magazine, GEO, Time, Life, Newsweek, Sports Illustrated and numerous book projects. Joel and his work have been the subjects of several national broadcasts including National Geographic's Explorer, the NBC Nightly News, NPR's Weekend Edition and an hour-long PBS documentary, At Close Range. He is also a contributor on the CBS Sunday Morning Show with Charles Osgood. In 2015, he had an appearance in the film Racing Extinction where he photographed the very last Rabb's fringe-limbed treefrog.
Joel Sartore is a founding Fellow of the International League of Conservation Photographers (ILCP)  In 2012, Sartore was named a Fellow of the National Geographic Society.
Sartore resides in Lincoln, Nebraska with his wife and three children.
- The Company We Keep: America's Endangered Species, 1995, National Geographic Society (1997 reprint), ISBN 0-7922-3310-7, with Douglas H. Chadwick
- Nebraska: Under a Big Red Sky, 1999, Nebraska Book Company (2006 Reprint, University of Nebraska Press), ISBN 0-9648992-6-4
- Photographing Your Family, 2008, National Geographic, ISBN 1-4262-0218-0, with John Healey
- Rare: Portraits of America's Endangered Species, 2010, Focal Point (National Geographic), ISBN 1-4262-0575-9
- Let's Be Reasonable, 2011, University of Nebraska Press, ISBN 0-8032-3506-2
- Fundamentals of Photography, 2012, Teaching Co.
National Geographic works
- Joel Sartore Photography
- Joel Sartore Speaking Engagements
- Joel Sartore Online Store
- Joel Sartore - National Geographic Photographer
- Joel Sartore - National Geographic Fellow
- At Close Range with National Geographic: Who is Joel Sartore?-PBS