Simkhai at TechCrunch Disrupt SF 2012
|Known for||founder and former CEO of Grindr and Blendr|
Joel Simkhai (born c. 1979 in Tel Aviv, Israel) is the founder and former CEO of geosocial networking and dating apps Grindr and Blendr. His original goal in starting Grindr was for people with similar interests to find new friends nearby.
Life and career
Simkhai was born in Tel Aviv, Israel. His mother sold jewelry and his father was a diamond-dealer. When he was three years old, his family moved to New York City. He received his bachelor of arts degree in International Relations & Economics from Tufts University in May 1998. After starting college, he came out to himself and his parents. While his father accepted the news immediately, his mother took more time, but is now proud of her son and how famous he has become.
- Doron Halutz (June 28, 2016). "Israeli Founder of Grindr Talks About Growing Up Gay and Coming Out to His Family". Haaretz. Retrieved July 1, 2017.
- Chanelle Bessette (August 12, 2014). "10 Questions: Joel Simkhai, founder and CEO, Grindr". Fortune. Retrieved July 1, 2017.
- Guy Trebay (December 12, 2014). "The Sex Education of Grindr's Joel Simkhai". The New York Times. Retrieved July 1, 2017.
- Mekahlo Medina (September 8, 2011). "A New Social Blendr". NBC Los Angeles.
- J. O'Dell (March 14, 2012). "Grindr creator on his new app, lesbian gaydar, & more at SXSW [video]". VentureBeat. Retrieved July 1, 2017.
- "Joel Simkhai - Founder & Chief Executive Officer @ Grindr". crunchbase. Retrieved July 1, 2017.
- Minda Smiley (May 25, 2016). "Grindr CEO Joel Simkhai explains how he turned his idea for the app into a reality". thedrum.com. Retrieved July 1, 2017.