Joel T. Headley
Joel Tyler Headley (December 30, 1813 – January 16, 1897) was an American clergyman, historian, author, newspaper editor and politician who served as Secretary of State of New York.
He was born at Walton, New York to a Presbyterian clergyman father, and he determined to take up the same occupation. He graduated from Union College in 1839 and took a course in theology at the Auburn Theological Seminary in Auburn, New York. After being ordained, he preached at Stockbridge, Massachusetts, but soon had to give up his profession due to the strain, going to Europe in 1842. He turned to history writing, producing many works on various subjects. His writings were among the first to call attention to the Adirondack Mountains as a health resort. He later accepted the solicitations of Horace Greeley and became associate editor of the New York Tribune.
Headley was a member of the New York State Assembly (Orange Co., 1st D.) in 1855; and was New York Secretary of State from 1856 to 1857, elected on the American Party ticket at the New York state election, 1855. He died in Newburgh, New York in 1897, having lived there for many years.
- Headley, Joel Tyler, ed (1848). The Life of Oliver Cromwell. New York: Baker and Scribner.
- Headley, Joel Tyler, ed (1859). Washington and His Generals. New York: C. Scribner.
- Headley, Josel Tyler (1861). The Chaplains and Clergy of the Revolution. Springfield, MA: G. & F. Bill.
- Headley, Josel Tyler "Napoleon and his marshals". New York. A.L.Burt Company, publishers.
- Headley, Russell, ed (1908). The History of Orange County, New York. Middletown, N.Y.
- http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Joel_Tyler_Headley including a photo, signature, & his works listed.
- http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Index:Darien_Exploring_Expedition.pdf United States Navy Darien Exploring Expedition of the Isthmus of Panama 1854
- Images from Headley's "The Adirondack; or Life in the Woods" at Old Book Art.
- Works by Joel Tyler Headley at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Joel T. Headley at Internet Archive
Elias W. Leavenworth
|New York Secretary of State
1856 - 1857
Gideon J. Tucker