Joel Ward (magician)
September 27, 1983
|Occupation||Magician, Comedian, Actor, Entertainer|
Joel Ward (born September 27, 1983) is an American magician, actor, comedian, and TV personality. Ward has been a guest on "The Tonight Show" and "The Bonnie Hunt Show". He also tours regularly with a comedy & magic show.
He lives in Hollywood, CA.
Born in La Jolla, California, and raised in Cardiff by the Sea, Joel Ward began entertaining at the age of 6, after his father bought him a book on sleight of hand. He soon started performing for friends and family then eventually at birthday parties as “The Kid – Kids Show Magician.” When Ward was 15 he placed 1st at the International Brotherhood of Magicians annual competition, the World’s Largest Magic Organization, and from that became the Current World Champion Teen Magician.
Ward’s career has included hosting live events, as well as acting, and magic performed around the world. He has performed all over the United States, Canada, Central and South America, Europe, and Asia. In 2012 and 2013 Joel took his full-evening show to Macau, China where he made things appear and disappear and "combined classic tricks with a contemporary touch." His list of credits can be found below. Entertainment Weekly described Ward as a “boy wonder.”
Ward has performed at the Magic Castle in Los Angeles, California several times  as well as magic at The Comedy & Magic Club in Hermosa Beach, California. He tours regularly with comedy and magic show. He has performed for Johnny Depp, Justin Timberlake, Katy Perry, Emma Stone, Jessica Biel, John Mayer, and Warren Buffett. In 1999 Ward was picked out of hundreds of magicians to appear on television with Master Magician, Lance Burton. The show, “Lance Burton-Young Magicians Showcase,” was filmed at the Monte Carlo Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. Ward's act had changed a lot for Lance Burton's showcase. He began adding new magical elements while still performing his signature "Lost Balloon Routine" and "Dove Color Change" tricks. In 2009, he performed as a guest on “The Bonnie Hunt Show” on NBC. In 2011, he performed as a guest of Jay Leno on “The Tonight Show,” and in 2011 he made an appearance on Comedy Central’s “Tosh.0.” . In 2013 Ward was featured in Magic Magazine where they said, "onstage and offstage Joel is energetic, upbeat, yet at the same time casual and laid back. He strives to keep his act modern and fresh". In 2014 Ward consulted for actress Emma Stone in the short digital film for Vogue Magazine called "A Way In" directed by Ruben Fleischer.In 2016 Ward appeared on Penn & Teller: Fool Us on The CW. In 2016, Ward joined the live stage show Band of Magicians at the Tropicana Las Vegas for a three week performance run.
Talk show appearances
|2016||Penn and Teller Fool Us|
|2011||The Tonight Show with Jay Leno|
|2009||The Bonnie Hunt Show|
- Most Memorable Meal: Magician Joel Ward, www.gourmetfoodgarden.com, retrieved 2013-04-11
- 'The Magic World of Joel Ward' takes to the stage in Macau, http://www.macaudailytimes.com.mo, retrieved 2013-04-11 External link in
- Kepnes, Caroline (2001-03-16), "Lance Burton, Master Magician: The Young Magicians Showcase", Entertainment Weekly, David S. Morris
- Magic Castle 50th Anniversary – Access Hollywood Live, www.accesshollywood.com, retrieved 2013-01-15
- Lance Burton’s Young Magician’s Showcase– Lance Burton Master Magician, www.lanceburton.com, retrieved 2001-05-21
- Cissone, Melanie (March 2001), "Lance Burton's Young Magicians Showcase", Genii the Conjurors' Magazine, Richard Kaufman
- The Bonnie Hunt Show – Locate TV, http://www.locatetv.com, retrieved 2013-04-10 External link in
- Comedy Central’s Tosh.0 – $150,000 Tosh.0 Marathon, www.comedycentral.com, retrieved 2013-04-10
- Howard, Alsn (June 2013), "Laid Back, Energetic Magic", Magic Magazine, Stan Allen
- Vogue Original Shorts, video.vogue.com, retrieved 2013-04-25
- Mango’s Magik Mirror, www.fearnet.com, retrieved 2013-09-27