Yanofsky's reviews and articles have appeared in The Village Voice, Canadian Geographic, Chatelaine, The Globe and Mail, The Toronto Star and The Montreal Gazette, among others. He has earned the dubious honour of having once been evicted from the Ritz Carlton bar in Montreal in the company of John Updike.
His published works include Jacob's Ladder, Homo Erectus: And Other Popular Tales of True Romance and Mordecai and Me: An Appreciation of a Kind. Mordecai and Me was a shortlisted nominee for the 2003 Drainie-Taylor Biography Prize.
- "Articles by Joel Yanofsky at Canadian Geographic". canadiangeographic.ca. Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- Joel Yanosfky. "Updike Gets Good With Women". Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- "Department of Journalism, Part-time faculty". Concordia University. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- "Joel Yanofsky: The Books". Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- "Literary awards announce finalists". The Globe and Mail, February 4, 2004.
- Medley, Mark (17 June 2011). "Joel Yanofsky: Being a better father in order to be a better character". National Post. Retrieved 15 January 2013.