|Birth name||Joseph William Castillo|
|Also known as||The Sexy Mexi, Joey C|
|Born||March 30, 1966|
|Origin||Gardena, California, U.S.A|
|Genres||Alternative rock, hard rock, punk rock, heavy metal, stoner rock|
|Instruments||Drums, percussion, piano, keyboards, synthesizers, violin, theremin|
|Associated acts||California Breed, Queens of the Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal, Mark Lanegan, Zilch, Wasted Youth, Goatsnake, Danzig, Sugartooth, BL'AST!, Mark Lanegan Band, Desert Sessions, Son of Sam, Scott Weiland|
Vic Firth Drum sticks
Remo Drum Skins
Joseph Willam "Joey" Castillo (born March 30, 1966, in Gardena, California) is an American drummer. He is best known for his ten-year tenure in the hard rock band Queens of the Stone Age, from 2002 to 2012. Castillo has also been a member of Danzig, Eagles of Death Metal and California Breed.
Castillo joined Queens of the Stone Age in 2002, following the departure of temporary drummer Dave Grohl. Castillo remained within the band for over ten years, recording two studio albums, Lullabies to Paralyze (2005) and Era Vulgaris (2007), before being asked to leave (unsubstantiated) by founding member Josh Homme during the recording of the band's sixth studio album, ...Like Clockwork (2013).. In August 2014, Castillo joined the band California Breed replacing founding member Jason Bonham after he left the group citing "professional commitments" as his reason for departure.  He is now a member of Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts.
A native of southern California, Castillo began playing drums at age fifteen, when his grandmother loaned him the money to buy a drum kit. Castillo's playing is influenced by War, Al Green, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones and Black Flag. He started off his drumming career by joining the Los Angeles punk band, Wasted Youth, in 1984. After recording two albums and several tours, he left Wasted Youth and joined Sugartooth in 1991. During the summer of 1994, he formed a short-lived punk rock band called Chronic Halitosis. They played punk covers of bands like Misfits and Black Flag. In 1994 Joey officially left Sugartooth and joined Danzig, having turned down previous offers from Slayer and Suicidal Tendencies. In 1996, he was featured on Robert Trujillo's solo album, and in 1998 he joined Zilch. He replaced Goatsnake's original drummer after his departure in 2001, but that was short lived when they split up shortly after. In 2001 he did backing vocals and drums for some tracks on Son of Sam's album Songs From The Earth. Castillo joined Queens of the Stone Age without an audition, playing through half a song at an informal rehearsal before frontman Josh Homme walked out of the room, returned saying "I just fired the drummer. The tour starts tomorrow," and offered Castillo the gig. Castillo also played on Mark Lanegan's solo album Bubblegum and Eagles of Death Metal's second album Death by Sexy.
Castillo uses [Q Drums Co[ DW pedals and hardware, Zildjian cymbals, Vater sticks and LP equipment. Castillo is famous for his use of the LP Jam block. The tone of the jam block appears solo at the outset of the Queens of the Stone Age single "Little Sister" from the album Lullabies to Paralyze, Castillo’s first studio album with the band. However pre-Sugartooth he was known to use Tama drums, Paiste cymbals and Easton sticks.
After Era Vulgaris tour equipment
- 24"x16" Bass Drum
- 14"x10" Mounted Tom
- 18"x16" Floor Tom
- 14"x8" Steel Sonor belonged to Chuck Biscuits
- DW 6710 straight cymbal stands (3x)
- DW 6500 Hi-Hat Stand
- DW 9000 bass pedal
- Zildjian 24-inch K Light ride
- Zildjian 21-inch Prototype K crash
- Zildjian 19-inch K Hybrid crash
- Zildjian 14-inch Mastersound hi-hats
Vic Firth Sticks
- Vic Firth Extreme 5B sticks
- Snare: Remo Controlled Sound Clear
- Toms: Remo Controlled Sound
- Bass: Remo Clear Powerstroke III with Falam Slam
- LP160 Cyclops Tambourine
- LP1208-K Stealth Jam Block
Era Vulgaris tour equipment
Castillo used larger sized tom drums than ever before, while using the smallest bass drum he has used yet. He has continued using Vic Firth drum sticks, DW drums with acrylic OCDP shells, DW pedals and hardware and has switched from using Paiste cymbals to Zildjian cymbals for the Era Vulgaris tour.
Vic Firth Sticks
Lullabies To Paralyze tour equipment
For the Lullabies tour, Castillo continued to use DW drums, Paiste cymbals and Remo heads. Though during this tour he started using Vic Firth sticks instead of Vater sticks. Joey also dropped his second floor tom and LP bongos during this tour and added on a LP jamblock to his drumkit. From this tour and on, he would use the toms to play "Better Living Through Chemistry" during the verses.
Vic Firth Sticks
Songs For The Deaf tour equipment
|Year||Band or artist||Album|
|1986||Wasted Youth||Get Out of My Yard!|
|1997||Sugartooth||The Sounds of Solid|
|Danzig||6:66 Satan's Child|
|Danzig||Live on the Black Hand Side|
|Son of Sam||Songs From The Earth|
|2003||Desert Sessions||Volumes 9 & 10|
|2004||Mark Lanegan Band||Bubblegum|
|2005||Queens of the Stone Age||Lullabies to Paralyze|
|Over The Years And Through The Woods|
|2006||Eagles of Death Metal||Death by Sexy|
|2007||Danzig||The Lost Tracks of Danzig|
|Queens of the Stone Age||Era Vulgaris|
|2008||Eagles of Death Metal||Heart On|
|2013||Queens of the Stone Age||...Like Clockwork|
- Chamberlain, Rich. "Joey Castillo replaces Jason Bonham in California Breed". musicradar.com. Rhythm Magazine. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "MisfitsCentral Bio of Chronic Halitosis". MisfitsCentral.com. Retrieved 2008-06-09.
- "Devilman138 talks with TODD YOUTH of DANZIG". the7thhouse.com. 2000. Retrieved 2008-06-09.
- Blush, Steven (October 1997). "Glenn Danzig". Seconds. Retrieved 2009-10-03.
- "IMDb Biography for Joey Castillo". IMDb. 2005. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- "An Interview with Greg Anderson of Goatsnake". StonerRock.com. 2001. Retrieved 2008-06-09.
- "Joey Castillo Is "Walking The Walk"". Drum! magazine. 2005. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-05-03.
- "Break It Down: Joey Castillo of Queens of the Stone Age". Artist Direct. 2007. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- Template:Cite news in 2015 He switched to Q drums, whose rooster also include Ilan Rubin From NIN Angels and Airwaves, Hayden Scott who has played with Awolnation and Filter and Brody Dalle
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joey Castillo.|
- LPmusic.com - LP Music page of Joey Castillo