Castillo performing with Queens of the Stone Age in 2011.
|Birth name||Joseph William Castillo|
|Also known as||The Sexy Mexi
March 30, 1966 |
Gardena, California, United States
|Genres||Alternative rock, hard rock, punk rock, heavy metal, stoner rock|
|Instruments||Drums, percussion, piano, keyboards, synthesizers, violin, theremin|
|Associated acts||California Breed, Queens of the Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal, Mark Lanegan, Zilch, Wasted Youth, Goatsnake, Danzig, Sugartooth, BL'AST!, Mark Lanegan Band, Desert Sessions, Son of Sam, Scott Weiland, Zakk Sabbath|
Vic Firth Drum sticks
Joseph Willam "Joey" Castillo (born March 30, 1966) is an American musician and songwriter. He is best known for being the drummer of the hard rock band Queens of the Stone Age from 2002 to 2012. He has also been a member of Danzig, Eagles of Death Metal, California Breed, and Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts.
Castillo joined Queens of the Stone Age in 2002, following the departure of temporary drummer Dave Grohl. He recorded two studio albums, Lullabies to Paralyze (2005), Era Vulgaris (2007), and recorded half of ...Like Clockwork (2013) before being fired by founding member Josh Homme during the process. Since leaving Qotsa and Homme side project Eagles of Death Metal in 2012, Castillo joined California Breed, replacing founding member Jason Bonham, joined Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts, touring with the band before the singers untimely death in 2015, and joined two groups with former Qotsa bandmate Nick Oliveri: supergroup Royale Daemons and historic punk band Bl'ast.    Castillo also has joined Zakk Wylde-led Black Sabbath cover band Zakk Sabbath.
- 1 Musical career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Equipment
- 4 QOTSA Era Gear (2002-2012)
- 5 Discography
- 6 References
- 7 External links
A native of Gardena, California, Castillo began playing drums at age 15, when his grandmother loaned him the money to buy a drum kit. His playing is influenced by War, Al Green, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, and Black Flag. He started off his drumming career by joining the Los Angeles punk band Wasted Youth in 1984. After recording two albums and several tours, he left Wasted Youth and joined Sugartooth in 1991. During the summer of 1994, he formed a short-lived punk rock band called Chronic Halitosis. They played punk covers of bands like Misfits and Black Flag.
In 1994, Castillo left Sugartooth and joined Danzig, having turned down previous offers from Slayer and Suicidal Tendencies. In 1996, he was featured on Robert Trujillo's solo album, and in 1998 he joined Zilch. He replaced Goatsnake's original drummer after his departure in 2001, but that was short lived when they split up shortly after. In 2001 he did backing vocals and drums for some tracks on Son of Sam's album Songs From The Earth.
Castillo joined Queens of the Stone Age without an audition, playing through half a song (Avon) at an informal rehearsal before frontman Josh Homme walked out of the room, returned saying "I just fired the drummer. The tour starts tomorrow," and offered Castillo the gig. Castillo also played on Mark Lanegan's solo album Bubblegum and Eagles of Death Metal's second album Death by Sexy.
Castillo currently uses Q Drums, DW pedals and hardware, Zildjian cymbals, Vater sticks and LP equipment. Castillo is famous for his use of the LP Jam block. The tone of the jam block appears solo at the outset of the Queens of the Stone Age single "Little Sister" from the album Lullabies to Paralyze, Castillo’s first studio album with the band. However pre-Sugartooth he was known to use Tama drums, Paiste cymbals and Easton sticks.
Post QOTSA Gear
Q Drum Co drums (Clear seamless Acrylic or Black Stain Mahogany)
- 26"x14" Bass Drum
- 14"x10" Rack Tom
- 18"x16" Floor Tom
- 14"x8" Aluminum Plate Snare
- DW 6710 straight cymbal stands (3x)
- DW 5000 Hi-Hat Stand
- DW 9000 bass pedal
- Zildjian 24-inch K Light ride
- Zildjian 21-inch K Crash Ride
- Zildjian 20-inch K Crash
- Zildjian 16-inch K Light Hi Hats
- Vater Rock & 3A
- Snare: Remo Controlled Sound Clear
- Toms: Remo Controlled Sound
- Bass: Remo Clear Powerstroke III with Falam Slam
QOTSA Era Gear (2002-2012)
Reissue tours equipment (2010-2012)
DW Drums Jazz Series (Silver Sparkle)
Vic Firth Sticks
Heart On (Eagles of Death Metal) tour equipment (2008-2012)
DW Drums Classic Series (Brown to Black Duco)
Vic Firth Sticks
Era Vulgaris tour equipment (2007-2008)
Castillo used larger sized tom drums than ever before, while moving to a smaller bass drum, the opposite of the Lullabies-era configuration. He continued using Vic Firth sticks, DW drums with OCDP clear acrylic shells, DW pedals and hardware, but switched from using Paiste to Zildjian cymbals.
Vic Firth Sticks
Lullabies To Paralyze tour equipment (2005-2006)
For the Lullabies tour, Castillo continued to use DW drums, Paiste cymbals and Remo heads. Though during this tour he started using Vic Firth sticks instead of Vater. Joey also dropped his second floor tom and LP bongos during this tour and added on a LP jamblock to his drumkit. From this tour and on, he would use the toms to play "Better Living Through Chemistry" during the verses.
Vic Firth Sticks
Songs For The Deaf tour equipment (2002-2004)
DW Drums (Ebony Satin Stain, Broken Glass)
(All White by Lollapalooza 2003)
|Year||Band or artist||Album|
|1986||Wasted Youth||Get Out of My Yard!|
|1997||Sugartooth||The Sounds of Solid|
|Danzig||6:66 Satan's Child|
|Danzig||Live on the Black Hand Side|
|Son of Sam||Songs From The Earth|
|2003||Desert Sessions||Volumes 9 & 10|
|2004||Mark Lanegan Band||Bubblegum|
|2005||Queens of the Stone Age||Lullabies to Paralyze|
|Over The Years And Through The Woods|
|2006||Eagles of Death Metal||Death by Sexy|
|2007||Danzig||The Lost Tracks of Danzig|
|Queens of the Stone Age||Era Vulgaris|
|2008||Eagles of Death Metal||Heart On|
|2013||Queens of the Stone Age||...Like Clockwork|
- Hutchinson, Kate. ""I wish there was a different story to tell" - Josh Homme talks to DiS Breed". Drowned in Sound. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- Chamberlain, Rich. "Joey Castillo replaces Jason Bonham in California Breed". musicradar.com. Rhythm Magazine. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "MisfitsCentral Bio of Chronic Halitosis". MisfitsCentral.com. Retrieved 2008-06-09.
- "Devilman138 talks with TODD YOUTH of DANZIG". the7thhouse.com. 2000. Retrieved 2008-06-09.
- Blush, Steven (October 1997). "Glenn Danzig". Seconds. Retrieved 2009-10-03.
- "IMDb Biography for Joey Castillo". IMDb. 2005. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- "An Interview with Greg Anderson of Goatsnake". StonerRock.com. 2001. Retrieved 2008-06-09.
- "Joey Castillo Is "Walking The Walk"". Drum! magazine. 2005. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-05-03.
- "Break It Down: Joey Castillo of Queens of the Stone Age". Artist Direct. 2007. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- Template:Cite news in 2015 He switched to Q drums, whose rooster also include Ilan Rubin From NIN Angels and Airwaves, Hayden Scott who has played with Awolnation and Filter and Brody Dalle
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joey Castillo.|
- LPmusic.com - LP Music page of Joey Castillo