Dorsey in 2016
|Position||Power forward / Center|
December 16, 1983|
|Listed height||6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)|
|Listed weight||275 lb (125 kg)|
Mt. Zion Christian Academy|
(Durham, North Carolina) Laurinburg Institute
(Laurinburg, North Carolina)
|NBA draft||2008 / Round: 2 / Pick: 33rd overall|
|Selected by the Portland Trail Blazers|
|2008–2010||→Rio Grande Valley Vipers|
|2012–2013||Royal Halı Gaziantep|
|Career highlights and awards|
Richard Elmer "Joey" Dorsey (born December 16, 1983) is an American professional basketball player who last played for Best Balıkesir of the Turkish Basketball Super League (BSL). He played college basketball for the University of Memphis. He has three daughters.
- 1 College career
- 2 Professional career
- 3 Awards and accomplishments
- 4 Career statistics
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
However, during his senior year Dorsey led the Memphis Tigers to the 2008 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament championship game with Derrick Rose and Chris Douglas-Roberts. The Tigers fell to Kansas 75–68 in overtime.
Dorsey was chosen as the 33rd overall pick in the 2008 NBA draft by the Portland Trail Blazers. After the draft, he was traded to the Houston Rockets in exchange for the draft rights to the 25th pick, Nicolas Batum. In the 2008–09 NBA season, Dorsey played in 3 games, scoring a total of 2 points, grabbing one rebound, and making one assist.
The Rockets assigned Dorsey to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA Development League. On February 5, 2010, after previously being called back up from the NBDL, Dorsey played a career-high 19 minutes and grabbed 12 rebounds.
Sacramento Kings / Toronto Raptors
On February 18, 2010, Dorsey was traded to the Sacramento Kings in a three team deal that also moved the Rockets' Tracy McGrady to the New York Knicks. On March 28, 2010, Dorsey was waived by the Kings.
In September 2011, Dorsey signed a one-year deal with the Spanish League club Caja Laboral. On January 10, 2012, he parted ways with Caja Laboral. The next day, he signed with the Greek League club Olympiacos for the rest of the season. With Olympiacos, he won the 2011–12 EuroLeague championship, as well as the 2011–12 Greek League championship. In August 2012, he re-signed with Olympiacos on a two-year deal. On September 12, 2012, during a preseason exhibition game against Dinamo Sassari, Dorsey ended up shattering a backboard, with around two minutes left in the fourth quarter.
On November 7, 2012, Dorsey was released by Olympiacos, ending their relationship two weeks after he criticized the organization, and he stopped playing with the team. On November 22, 2012, he signed with Turkish club Royal Halı Gaziantep for the rest of the 2012–13 Turkish Basketball League season.
Return to the NBA
On July 20, 2015, the Rockets traded Dorsey, Nick Johnson, Kostas Papanikolaou, Pablo Prigioni, a 2016 first round draft pick, and cash considerations to the Denver Nuggets in exchange for Ty Lawson and a 2017 second round draft pick. On August 18, 2015, he was waived by the Nuggets in a buyout deal.
Return to Europe
On August 29, 2015, Dorsey signed a one-year, $650,000 net income contract with Turkish club Galatasaray. On February 19, 2016, he left Galatasaray, and returned to his former club, FC Barcelona, for the rest of the season.
Awards and accomplishments
- Conference USA All-Freshman Team: (2004–05)
- Conference USA All-Tournament Team: (2006)
- All-Conference USA First-Team: (2006–07)
- Conference USA All-Defensive Team: (2006–07)
- Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year: (2006–07)
- Conference USA All-Tournament Team: (2007)
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
Dorsey is the son of Charlene Dorsey. He has a younger sister Candice. Father to three daughters. Names unknown
- One to go: After UCLA romp, Tigers eye Jayhawks
- Rockets call up Joey Dorsey from NBA Development League - ESPN
- Dorsey gives Rockets a pick-me-up
- "KINGS: KINGS ACQUIRE CARL LANDRY, JOEY DORSEY AND LARRY HUGHES". NBA.com. 2010-02-18. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- "Kings Waive Dorsey". NBA.com. 2010-03-28. Archived from the original on April 6, 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-30.
- "Raptors Sign Free Agent Joey Dorsey". NBA.com. April 4, 2010. Retrieved February 17, 2016.
- CAJA LABORAL lands big man Dorsey
- Caja Laboral and Joey Dorsey part ways
- Olympiacos signs Joey Dorsey
- Olympiacos re-signs Dorsey through 2014
- Ex-Rocket, King and Raptor Joey Dorsey shatters backboard with dunk during game for Greek team Olympiacos (VIDEO)
- Olympiacos officially releases Dorsey
- Dorsey signs with Gaziantep BB
- "FC Barcelona adds former Euroleague champ Joey Dorsey". Sportando.com. July 17, 2013. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "BARCELONA lands former champ Dorsey". Euroleague.net. July 17, 2013. Archived from the original on July 21, 2013. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "Rockets Add Depth to Roster with Signings". NBA.com. July 19, 2014. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- Joey Dorsey 2014-15 Game Log
- "Nuggets Acquire Joey Dorsey, Nick Johnson, Kostas Papanikolaou, Pablo Prigioni, Cash Considerations and First Round Pick From Houston". NBA.com. July 20, 2015. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "Denver Nuggets Waive Dorsey". NBA.com. August 18, 2015. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- "Joey Dorsey Galatasaray'da". Galatasaray.org (in Turkish). August 29, 2015. Retrieved August 29, 2015.
- "Joey Dorsey inks a deal with Galatasaray". Sportando.com. August 18, 2015. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- "FC Barcelona Lassa sign Joey Dorsey until the end of the season". Fcbarcelona.com. February 19, 2016. Retrieved February 19, 2016.
- "FC Barcelona brings back center Dorsey". Euroleague.net. February 19, 2016. Retrieved February 19, 2016.
- "Barcelona officially signs Joey Dorsey to a two-year contract extension". Sportando.com. August 17, 2016. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- "Despido disciplinario de Joey Dorsey". FCBarcelona.com (in Spanish). January 18, 2017. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- "Joey Dorsey signed with Best Balikesir". Eurohoops.net. February 13, 2017. Retrieved February 13, 2017.