Founder of McFarland Entertainment
|The Wolf of Wall Street, Dumb and Dumber To|
Joey McFarland (born April 30, 1972) is an American film producer and the founder of McFarland Entertainment, a content development and production company for both film and television. He was previously vice chairman of Red Granite Pictures.
Life and career
McFarland's first production under the Red Granite banner was the hit romantic comedy, Friends with Kids. Written and directed by Jennifer Westfeldt, Friends with Kids also stars Jon Hamm, Adam Scott, Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph and Chris O'Dowd. In 2012 McFarland went on to executive produce the dramatic thriller, Out of the Furnace, starring Christian Bale, Casey Affleck, Zoe Saldana, Forest Whitaker and directed by Scott Cooper.
Next McFarland produced The Wolf of Wall Street. The Wolf of Wall Street is based upon Jordan Belfort's best-selling novel of the same name. The book was adapted into a screenplay by Terence Winter. The film stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Matthew Mcconaughey, Margot Robbie and was directed by Martin Scorsese. Released on December 25, 2013 by Paramount Pictures, The Wolf of Wall Street is a box office success and garnered critical acclaim - including a Golden Globe win for Best Actor in a Motion Picture Comedy for star Leonardo DiCaprio and five Academy Award nominations including Best Actor, Best Director and Best Picture for which McFarland received a nomination.
In 2013, McFarland completed production on Horns, a supernatural thriller starring Daniel Radcliffe, Juno Temple and directed by Alexandre Aja. The film is based on the best-selling novel by Joe Hill and was released October 31, 2014 by Dimension-RADiUS.
McFarland was also a producer on the sequel Dumb and Dumber To, directed by Pete and Bobby Farrelly. The film featured Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels again playing Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne, respectively, and was released on November 14, 2014 by Universal Pictures. Dumb and Dumber To opened number one at the box office to generally negative reviews. 
McFarland was executive producer on the film Daddy's Home (film) directed by Sean Anders and John Morris. Shot in New Orleans, it re-teamed Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg for the first time since 2010. Red Granite Pictures co-produced and co-financed the film with Paramount Pictures, in association with Gary Sanchez Productions. Paramount Pictures was also the worldwide distribution partner. The film was released on December 25, 2015.
McFarland produced Papillon, a remake of the 1973 film of the same name based on the best-selling autobiography by the French convict Henri Charrière. The film starred Charlie Hunnam as Henri Charrière ("Papillon"), and Rami Malek as Louis Dega. It premiered in September 2017 at the 2017 Toronto International Film Festival. Papillon was released August 24, 2018.
In 2018, he formed the independent production company for both television and film called McFarland Entertainment.
- Friends With Kids (2012) (Producer)
- Out of the Furnace (2013) (Executive Producer)
- The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) (Producer)
- Horns (2014) (Producer)
- Dumb and Dumber To (2014) (Producer)
- Daddy's Home (2015) (Executive Producer)
- Papillon (2017)
Awards and nominations
|2014||Academy Awards||Best Picture||The Wolf of Wall Street||Nominated|
|2014||Golden Globe Awards||Best Picture – Musical or Comedy||The Wolf of Wall Street||Nominated|
|2014||AFI Awards||Movie of the Year||The Wolf of Wall Street||Won|
|2014||PGA Awards||Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures||The Wolf of Wall Street||Nominated|
- "McFARLAND Entertainment". McFARLAND Entertainment. Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118043039 at Variety, by Dave McNarry, posted September 19, 2011, retrieved February 10, 2012
- http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118045458 at Variety, by Gregg Goldstein, posted November 8, 2011, retrieved February 10, 2012
- Box Office Mojo http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=joeymcfarland.htm. Retrieved July 22, 2015. Missing or empty
- Goldstein, Gregg. "Red Granite Pictures: Duo combine investment savvy with creative juice". Variety.com. Variety.com.
- "Lionsgate Has Friends With Kids". Press Release. Lionsgate. Archived from the original on January 27, 2013. Retrieved October 19, 2012.
- IMDb. "Out of the Furnace". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved October 19, 2012.
- McClintock, Pamela (May 22, 2012). "Red Granite Picture's Riza Aziz and Joey McFarland on Scorsese's "Wolf of Wall Street"". Hollywood Reporter.
- Jue, Teresa. "Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg team up again for 'Daddy's Home'". ew.com. Entertainment Weekly.
- McNary, Dave (June 3, 2015). "Mark Wahlberg-Will Ferrell Comedy 'Daddy's Home' Gets Christmas Release". Variety.com. Variety. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (August 3, 2016). "'Mr. Robot' Star Rami Malek Joins Charlie Hunnam in 'Papillon' Remake". Variety. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- Harvey, Dennis (September 8, 2017). "Toronto Film Review: 'Papillon'". Variety. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- Clopton, Ellis (May 22, 2018). "Charlie Hunnam, Rami Malek Plan Jailbreak in First 'Papillon' Trailer". Variety. Retrieved June 5, 2018.
- "Biography". joey MCFARLAND. Retrieved September 5, 2019.