June 29, 1982 |
Montreal, QC, CAN
|Height||6 ft 6 in (198 cm)|
|Weight||220 lb (100 kg; 15 st 10 lb)|
|Played for||Carolina Hurricanes|
|NHL Draft||193rd overall, 2002
Joey Mormina (born June 29, 1982) is a Canadian former professional ice hockey defenceman who was a veteran of the American Hockey League (AHL) playing in 670 regular season games. He played a solitary game in the National Hockey League (NHL) with the Carolina Hurricanes.
Mormina was drafted 193rd overall by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft from Colgate University. Without a contract from the Flyers, Mormina began his professional career by playing two seasons with the Manchester Monarchs, the AHL affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings.
On July 2, 2007, Mormina signed with the Carolina Hurricanes and received his first callup to the NHL. Mormina consequently played in one game for the Hurricanes before being sent back to the AHL. On July 8, 2008, Mormina signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins and spent the entire 2008–09 season with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. On July 8, 2009, Mormina returned to the franchise that originally drafted him, signing a one-year contract with the Philadelphia Flyers.
On August 5, 2010, Mormina signed a contract with the DEL's Kassel Huskies. However, the Huskies declaring bankruptcy on August 27, 2010, Mormina became an unrestricted free agent again. On September 7, 2010, Mormina signed a contract with the EC Red Bull Salzburg of the Erste Bank Hockey League. After featuring in a European pre-season tournament, Mormina sought a release from Salzburg and returned to North America, returning to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins for the 2010–11 season.
During the 2015–16 season, while in his third year with the Syracuse Crunch, Mormina was traded to the Rochester Americans for future considerations on March 4, 2016. Upon the conclusion of the season with the Americans, Mormina ended his professional career after 11 seasons in accepting an assistant coaching role with the Mercyhurst University on September 21, 2016.
|2007–08||Albany River Rats||AHL||77||4||9||13||96||7||0||0||0||4|
Awards and honors
|ECAC Hockey All-Tournament Team||2005|||
- "Hurricanes callup Mormina". Carolina Hurricanes. 2007-11-27. Retrieved 2008-02-03.
- "Penguins sign Joey Mormina". Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. 2010-12-10. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Rochester acquires veteran defenseman Mormina". American Hockey League. 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-03-04.
- "Men's ice hockey team hires Mormina as assistant coach". Mercyhurst University. 2016-09-21. Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "All-Tournament Honors" (PDF). ECAC Hockey. Retrieved 2014-05-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joey Mormina.|
- Joey Mormina's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Joey Mormina's biography at Legends of Hockey
- Joey Mormina's player profile at NHL.com
- Joey Mormina's player profile at TSN.ca
|Awards and achievements|
|Captain of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
|This biographical article relating to a Canadian ice hockey defenceman born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|