||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2007)|
|Birth name||Didier Morville|
|Also known as||Double R, L'Expert de la maison mère, Jaguarr Gorgone|
|Born||27 October 1967|
|Origin||Saint-Denis, Seine-Saint-Denis, France|
|Occupation(s)||Rapper, record producer|
|Instruments||Percussion, synthesizer, keyboards, bass guitar, turntables|
|Associated acts||Kool Shen, Busta Flex, Jaeyez, Lord Kossity|
Didier Morville, better known by his stage name Joeystarr (stylized JoeyStarr [dʒɔ.ɛˈstaʁ]) with additional alias as Jaguar Gorgone or Double R, is a French rapper of Martinican origin, from Saint-Denis. He co-founded the famous French rap group Suprême NTM in 1989 along with Kool Shen. He was born on 27 October 1967.
Life and career
Childhood and upbringing
Joeystarr had a difficult childhood, having been raised by his violent father until he turned 18. He was taken from his mother when he was five years old, and only saw her again 18 years later. He tells of a time when his father killed his pet rabbit and made him eat it.
After the army, he wandered the streets, sleeping in subways and alleys. He discovered drugs and hip-hop, and the latter changed his life.
During his time on the streets, he met another aspiring rapper, Kool Shen, who was also born in Saint-Denis. In 1988 they formed the group NTM. When the first single came out in 1989, he could not cash the check, since he could not provide an address or a bank account.
The group achieved record sales with their four albums, but split in 1998.
It had a comeback as announced on March 13, 2008.
Joeystarr had an infamous romantic liaison with French actress Béatrice Dalle, and the couple appeared on TV shows and promotional events. Joeystarr has two sons, Mathis and Kalil, with his current girlfriend, hip-hop journalist Leïla Dixmier.
Joeystarr has also had many problems with regards to violence. In 1999, he was sentenced to two months in prison for physically harassing a stewardess . In 2003, he was condemned for animal brutality for hitting a monkey on national television, and was heavily criticized in the press and by his fans.
Awards and nominations
- 2007: "Best rap artist" during L'Année du hip-hop Les trophées
- 2008: "Best concert" during L'Année du hip-hop Les trophées
- 2010: Nomination for "Best actor in a secondary role" during César Award for his role in Le Bal des actrices
- 2012: Nomination for "Best actor in a secondary role" during César Award for his role in Polisse
- 2012: Laureate for Patrick Dewaere Award
|2006||La dernière année||20||3||36|
(Cut Killer, JoeyStarr & Kimfu)
- 2006: My Playlist
- 2007: L'Anthology Mixtape
- 1995 : La Haine - in the scene "barbecue sur les toits"
- 2000 : La Tour Montparnasse Infernale as Joël
- 2000 : Old School as Isaac
- 2004 : RRRrrrr!!!
- 2008 : Passe-passe as Max
- 2008 : La Personne aux deux personnes as himself
- 2009 : Le Bal des actrices as himself
- 2010 : L'Immortel as Le Pistachier
- 2011 : Polisse as Fred
- 2011 : Nuit blanche as Feydek
- 2012 : L'amour dure trois ans as Jean-Georges
- 2012 : Les Seigneurs
- 2012 : Max
- 2013 : Une autre vie
- 2014 : Le Dernier Diamant
- Television series
- 1990 : Le Lyonnais (1 episode "Taggers)
- 2001 : Toc toc toc (TV mini series) as himself
- 2002 : H - (1 episode, "Lucifer")
- 2003 : 60 jours 60 nuits de Juliette Baudouin as himself
- 2008-2010 : Mafiosa, le clan as Moktar
- Joeystarr not Joey Starr. He said that in his biography.
- "Tous ces pédés de militaires / Qui pendant, oui, presque plus d'une année / M'ont séquéstré, malmené / Sous prétexte de faire de moi un homme, un vrai"
- Helenon, Veronique. “Africa on Their Mind: Rap, Blackness, and Citizenship in France.” In The Vinyl Ain’t Final: Hip Hop and the Globalization of Black Popular Culture, ed. by Dipannita Basu and Sidney J. Lemelle, 151-66. London; Ann Arbor, MI: Pluto Pres
- SUPRÊME NTM - Le site Officiel
- LesCharts.com: JoeyStarr page
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JoeyStarr.|